First snow shots - C&C please

mosu84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got our first snow of the year. Tried to take a few night shots after it died down, but it was freezing. Can someone make some recommendations (and criticisms, of course) about the shot and how to improve shooting in snow? Thanks a lot.

3122153254_24a46b9854_b.jpg

3121355139_5b83c74ac3_b.jpg

Last edited:
I like the first one alot, great angle. Second one is a little blah to me. Great clarity in both though!

wow, I really like number one. I love the depth and the haze as the road gets further back really adds.

i agree with element and would just like to say wow what a poop ton of snow :D

Fix the WB,unless that is what you were aiming for. Also, try the exposure check, if you are shooting in day, so you don't end up gray.

I'd fix the WB, as suggested, and possibly burn out the 2nd windshield- it's a bit overexposed it seems- probably because at that angle its reflecting the streetlight much more. I really like it though- I'll second the haze adding to the image. I grew up in the North east and live in SoCal now... this picture reminds me of what it was like after those big snow storms- thanks.

Thanks for the comments everyone. That photo was taken around midnight. I tried to fix the white balance, but I wasn't sure how since I didn't shoot in RAW. Is this version better than the original? It's weird; I almost like the color in the original more, even though it's not an accurate representation of the scene. Also, how does one go about "burning out" the windshield in photoshop?

3124683248_53094e8dda_b.jpg

Last edited:
I like the first one alot, great angle. Second one is a little blah to me. Great clarity in both though!

Thanks. That firetruck showed up just as I was about to go into my apartment, so I tried to take a shot of it, but it was freezing and didn't really take enough time trying to get a good shot.

Great shots. May I ask you a question? Where do you live? I would take some snow shots if i wasn't at work. I was At thinking S*** why didn't I take my camera with me lol.

love the first one. its so beautiful

Wow, your photos are really nice! Especially the 1st one as everyone else has said. Looks terrific!

Great shots. May I ask you a question? Where do you live? I would take some snow shots if i wasn't at work. I was At thinking S*** why didn't I take my camera with me lol.

Thanks. Cambridge, Massachusetts

Fix the WB,unless that is what you were aiming for. Also, try the exposure check, if you are shooting in day, so you don't end up gray.

It's hard when you're shooting under these amber/rose-tinted streetlights. I came up with pictures with a similar tint the other night, as I was shooting in the evening.

Any recommendations on the best way to minimize the effects of the streetlights, or is there one? I tried several things* and none came up with pleasing results. Advice is appreciated.

* changed ISO, stopped down, adjusted EC... would an external flash have helped?

#1 is a great shot, I almost like it more with the yellowish tint gives it a eerie/surreal kinda look to it.

Most reactions

Back