First street photography experience

spiralout

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been wanting to go out and do some street photography in downtown Houston for SOO long, but I've always been incredibly anxious at the thought of how people might react to getting their picture taken. I finally worked up the nerve to do it a couple days ago. I decided that the day would be great for some street photos, so I pretty much had to run and get my camera and run to the car withougt thinking in between. :)

I had SO much fun! I realized that people really don't mind getting their picture taken; in fact, in many cases quite the opposite is true. I had 4 or 5 people actually ask me to take their picture (!).

Just felt like sharing. Oh, and to all you would-be street photographers that can't seem to get over your fear of people (especially you, JonMikal), people really don't pay near as much attention to you as you might think, and when they do it's usually out of curiosity or wanting to be involved. It's about as much fun as you can have photographically! :-D

Well done, Spiralout!

My plan for today is to cast of my shackles of fear and embark on my first street photography venture.

I hope that I find myself as successful as you plainly were.

~Audrey

Nice one spiralout... I have tried it in the past and have gotten a few funny looks but nothing more... It is fun isn't it :)

Thats great! :)

This is something I have wanted to do as well but have not been able to bring myself to yet.

Do you have any photos you want to share from the session?

I'm still getting over people questioning me doing architectural photography. I want to do street, but I don't know if I'm ready yet.

I was taking more pics of the Surewest building this morning and was aproached by the security guard. He thought I was a professional doing shots for the company at first! LMAO... must have been the tripod. Scared the crap out of ME tho, I stuttered through an "I wanted to get the sun reflection off the glass, is that ok?" He smiled and said he didn't see why not and walked away. At least it was a clean experience but I've got to get over the 'nervous before you need to be' part of it myself.

BTW, why would someone ask a stranger to take a picutre of them with the strangers camera... the person'll never see it. I don't get that, weird street people.

"Take a picture of me!"

It's like graffiti in a way, I imagine, it means that you are making a more lasting impression somehow.

Or it means that someone finds you interesting.

In some way, it acknowledges your existence, and in the case of "real" street people, that is something that happens all too rarely. Even face to face and in person, street folk are treated as if they aren't really there.

It lucky for me, security does bother me, but i dont worry about them at all, because i skate on private property basically every weekend ive gotten used to it and realsied as long as your friendly to them, even if they want to yell at you you can just ignore them and walk away. A few times i end up having conversatinod with the security guard while i walk down the street. Also i dotn really mind people thinknig im a strange when im taking photos in the street, just part of being a photographer i guess. But i got more used to it when i went shooting with a friend regualarly its easier to not feel stupid when you have someone with you that is taking photos as well as being interesting to see what you both come up with in the same scene.

It does sond a bit strange for people to ask to have their photo taken but i guess if they did it would make an great shot easy to get

Dweller said:
Thats great! :)

This is something I have wanted to do as well but have not been able to bring myself to yet.

Do you have any photos you want to share from the session?

I just got back from home, I'm spending all day downtown (I can't get enough street!) and have tests for the next three days. Perhaps SOMEWHERE in there I'll find time to scan and post. :)

If you try to take pics of a celebrity and they have a body guard, you may get a black eye *smirks*.

Time to Get Moving said:
I want to go to Hollywood down here, but I don't know how many people will react to a 16 year old :/

People really don't mind, and they don't seem to take that much notice. As long as you're courteous- if someone sees you with your camera in hand and you would like to take their picture, give them a little nod or gesture toward your camera... a lot of the time you don't even need to do that much, you can tell from their expression- then you won't run into any problems. Most of the time, though, you don't need to ask permission; you don't really want to if you're going for candid. I promise you, just go out there the instant you feel inclined to do so. It's SO much easier after the first time.

One time a friend wanted to take pictures of me in the middle medium of a 4 lane road in our city. We got VERY strange looks. Interesting photos though, I should see if he still has them and if I can get one. They were B&W IIRC.

Since I'm just at the beginning with photography I haven't done much of any particular kind of shots, but I've always had ahankeriing to walk through the streets taking pictures of strangers.. and yesterday I got my chance! After a couple of days of asking a few people here and there and getting denied, today Everybody just smiled and agreed (I'm sure it was the sunny day). One guy asked to have his picture taken and sent to the Pentagon with an acommpanying letter regarding what he thinks are his insignificant Vet benafits for his service in Vietnam (should I send such a letter?). Anyway It was lots of fun. Great to talk to random people (they were all really interesting). There is great hope for many more similar expeditions!

Noah

spiralout said:
I've been wanting to go out and do some street photography in downtown Houston for SOO long, but I've always been incredibly anxious at the thought of how people might react to getting their picture taken. I finally worked up the nerve to do it a couple days ago. I decided that the day would be great for some street photos, so I pretty much had to run and get my camera and run to the car withougt thinking in between. :)

I had SO much fun! I realized that people really don't mind getting their picture taken; in fact, in many cases quite the opposite is true. I had 4 or 5 people actually ask me to take their picture (!).

Just felt like sharing. Oh, and to all you would-be street photographers that can't seem to get over your fear of people (especially you, JonMikal), people really don't pay near as much attention to you as you might think, and when they do it's usually out of curiosity or wanting to be involved. It's about as much fun as you can have photographically! :-D

wow i live near houston! i've been wanting to go take some street shots there, too. dont have much time though. did you go near the galleria? I'd love to get some pictures there sometime.

Belvedere said:
Since I'm just at the beginning with photography I haven't done much of any particular kind of shots, but I've always had ahankeriing to walk through the streets taking pictures of strangers.. and yesterday I got my chance! After a couple of days of asking a few people here and there and getting denied, today Everybody just smiled and agreed (I'm sure it was the sunny day). One guy asked to have his picture taken and sent to the Pentagon with an acommpanying letter regarding what he thinks are his insignificant Vet benafits for his service in Vietnam (should I send such a letter?). Anyway It was lots of fun. Great to talk to random people (they were all really interesting). There is great hope for many more similar expeditions!

Noah
Awesome! Now let's see some examples.

Most reactions

Back