First Strobist Shots

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took these shots a little while back with my new lighting rig. Thoughts?

3505786192_d47f263b7b_o.jpg

3504976855_15f7314c26_o.jpg

3504976831_6d70beb7de_o.jpg

I think you are on the right track with your strobist skills. I personally like 3 the best.

Nice shots, was this just one strobe shot through an umbrella? It would be nicer to have the sky either dark or a nice blue rather than the grey but nice job working with what you have.

I like them, the lighting is very nice and even...though I guess that's the point!

Very good shots. It's always a bonus when your model has such a beautiful smile. I like the third one the best, as your model's expression looks very natural, as opposed to the first two which look a little forced.

Thanks for the comments. I was pretty pleased with these shots so I'm glad I received good feedback. These were just with an SB-800 through a convertible shoot-through umbrella.

Camera settings are:

Nikon D90
1/200 sec @ f/4
ISO 100
Shot with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens
Flash power set at 1/4

I would've loved to get the sky/background darker but with I just couldn't, I was shooting at my max sync speed and was unable to get it darker. I would've loved to play with settings a little more, but we ran out of time...shot this out in my yard in between the bursts of rain. It was a terrible weekend but I wanted to get some shots so right when I popped off a few, we had to pack up cause it began to rain again lol.

Here's a lighting diagram.

3506756775_33213db0c4_o.jpg

There's also a run-down of this shoot on my blog, the links in my sig.

Most reactions

Back