First studio shoot

Granddad

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I now have my first studio set up and had my first shoot with my faithful and long suffering wife who is a belly dance teacher... and a grandmother of 7.

I used one backlight and a keylight in a softbox (strobes). Camera is Nikon D700 with a 24 - 70 f2.8 lens
As my model is "mature" I used Lightroom effects and gentle healing in Photoshop Elements 8... plus a little digital liposuction with the liquify filter on number 1.

C&C welcome and will be appreciated. No need to be gentle on ME. Before anyone mentions it, I have noticed that her necklace isn't straight - that's my fault, I need to work on my attention to details before I press the shutter button.

1) Exif: Iso 200, f18, 1/160th sec, 34mm, at 2.5 meters

Connie2.jpg

2 Exif: ISO 200, f18, 1/160th sec, 48mm, at 1.5 metres.

Connie-decent.jpg

They appear a bit overexposed and the lighting is somewhat flat, but that may be the look you were after.

Yes, I was going for the over exposed look as it can be kinder to aging skin. Thinking about it, I should post the originals since I'm after critique of the lighting etc, not my postprocessing. My brain must have been in neutral.

The first shot has a good, light, bright, airy look to the lighting. Pretty good job for a first effort!!! Overall, not bad really.

The second shot appears pretty over-exposed on her face on the right hand side of the picture. Poses are pretty good too.

Very attractive mature lady. Good on her for helping you out.

One thing I would be careful of is that your lights (camera right) are a bit too hot. You are loosing definition on her forearm in #1 and her shoulder on #2.

The earring and armpit shadow in #2 may have been effectively reduced if your reflector (or second "fill" light) had been positioned closer to the lens axis.

I like the lines you created in #1 with her arms, but feel that if the rearward leg had been extended, this would have opened her hips to a more slimming look for her torso.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks - all valid points. The overexposure is more pronounced on my processed images than on the originals but it's still there, the shadows I hadn't noticed... I need to learn to pay attention to these details BEFORE I shoot. Re the leg position in 2, I had her dance and shot while in motion - I need to study poses and try them, I can see how good posing can be flattering. The transition from live performance photography to portrait photography may take a while but old dogs CAN learn new tricks.:peacesign:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back