First thread: Critique wanted

littlepenguin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently made the switch from Canon to Nikon. This is my first test shoot with Nikon. Let me know what you guys think!

Shot with D800E & 85mm f/1.4g

$_1TK5913-web.jpg
$_1TK6135-web.jpg

I'm viewing these on a crappy monitor so don't take me seriously

anyway mho

#1 is too over exposed and washed out for me to work. The darkest part and the part with the most color are her crouch and I don't want to look there

Damnit mmaria, you and I are on the same track, haha. As I'm typing my responses so are you!

The Good:
- Nice models
- Nice outfits
- Nice setting (I think)

The Bad:
- Majorly blown highlights
- You've cropped off the first models feet
- You've cropped off the second model's legs
- Background in #2 is poorly composed. Give her more space to look into, and lose the massive air vent.
- Did I say blown highlights? It's really distracting.
- The second photo's lighting on the model is just off in terms of color. I get that you're adjusting your color curves, but she is way too warm, with some green tones on her face.

Don't get me wrong, these could be awesome, if not for the composition and the exposure settings. Beautiful models, great setting, great gear.

Love the outfit and the pose in #1, but the super blown background at the top and distracting colours at the bottom ruin it a bit for me.

How are you finding the switch from canon to nikon? I can't help looking at the specs on the D800 from time to time and feeling woefully inadequate about the dynamic range of my 5D in comparison.

Damnit mmaria, you and I are on the same track, haha. As I'm typing my responses so are you!
yeah LOL

but... I did leave tpf for 45 minutes and you could do much during that time... ;)

Love the 800e... but agree with with the other responses .... you have a beautiful model and awesome camera don't let them down

#1 There is quite a difference in skin color between your model's face and her legs. I'm guessing the legs are closer to being accurate. The costume is cropped at the edges, and her feet must not be very important. The yellow spot is a distraction.

#2 There's that big yellow thing again. I have no idea why you would crop her legs like that.

...and I don't want to look there

Hmmm.. my eyes were drawn right there too.. but I just thought it was because I have "issues".

Anyhoo, I would tend to agree with most #1 looks nice but washed out and the feet are gone.

#2 my eyes are pulled right to the yellow thing.

Other than the feet, composition looks pretty nice to me on both. but I am a total noob too, so I would likely steer you wrong!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I took a stab at that 'overblown' look — guess I went too far.

Regarding the switch between canon to Nikon, I still haven't quite adjusted to the color profile switch. Skin tones are WAY different.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back