First Time Blogger... Thoughts?

What is the point of your blog?
Who are you writing it for?
Before writing anything on a blog you need to answer those questions.

I agree with the above comments.I also agree: sans serif fonts suck,and are harder to read on smaller displays than are old-fashioned fonts that have serifs. Sans serif fonts may be more popular than older types of fonts, but they are tough to read on small displays like smart phones and tablets/phablets,etc..

I disagree on the idea of thumbnails being better than scrolling. No,no,no,no. I can scroll through a handful of images just fine, thank-you. A bunch of thumbnails becomes an ugly, low-rent look, with text. Arranging the images one after another and interspersing text between them is a logical, well-accepted way of doing layouts, and those who complain about the difficulties of scrolling really ought not factor into major aesthetic decisions.

The annoying spiraling, nautilus-shell inspired design overlayed on gray with light text? Sorry, but no. A thousand times no. How about white or creme backdrop, with BLACK text, so it's not an official FEMA Eyestrain Emergency Response Event? (lol!)

I have absolutely no idea who you think will read that type of writing. An audience of some type needs to be imagined, dreamed up, conjured, envisioned--something. Even if the audience is a SEO engine, you need to write for an audience, because what's written there is really bad writing. Sorry, former college newspaper editor here...I cannot lie to you and tell you that the writing is good, because I cannot imagine what you were thinking when you penned that piece. MOST blogs of this type that I have read are sort of extended on-line thank-you pieces, thanking clients for their business, and at the same time giving them a specific URL which they can send their friends/families to.

Blogs in this genre often serve as advertising for photographers, so the SEO stuff Paige W mentioned is a big, big deal! If you want to do payed social photography sets like this, do not talk about your first and second-ever sets, and skip talk of jumping the guy next to you (lol!) and stick with effusive comments about the people who gave you money in exchange for photographing them. Talk about the great location by its name and area (city/state/zip code), and skip phrases like shutter actuations. Never call a payed photograph you've been hired to make a "shutter actuation".

Most reactions

Back