first time buying dslr-need advice!

hk1234

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,
I hope I am posting this in the correct forum
I was thinking of getting a dslr. I'm just not sure which one to get. I've only owned point and shoots before and I did read some posts on the internet about good 'entry level dslrs', but i also read some posts that say not to get entry-level coz once uve learned how to use it u'll want more advanced features. I'm finding all the information on the internet very confusing!
I'll be using mine mainly for indoor photography (of people), around school, with friends, maybe some outdoor (out in the city mostly, a little bit of nature too i suppose but mostly in urban areas), family functions, birthdays, dinners, etc. I would like some recommendations and advice!

Thank u in advance!

If you have a local camera shop go look at, pick up several different brands see which seems to fit the best.

I would chose either Canon or Nikon. I don't know much about Canon, so for the Nikon side you have:

Entry level:
d3000
d3100
d5000

These are ok cameras, however they lack a focusing motor which means that you are limited to buying af-s lenses. These have the focusing motor integrated, however they usually cost more. You can still use all the other lenses on these cameras, they just won't autofocus.

Another negative of entry level cameras is the lack of dedicated buttons for features that you may need once you learn more about photography. You are still able to change most of these settings, however you would need to go through menus to do that.

The Nikon d90 is a prosumer camera which solves both of these isues. Not much to say, its a fairly good and popular camera. There is a rumor that a replacement called d95 will be released fairly soon, so I don't know if you want to wait for that.

If you have lived with point and shoots and like them then you may treat a dslr as a point and shoot as well. I use mine like that when I don't want to think about taking photos. If you decide on a beginner dslr and get really into it you can always upgrade lenses and get better quality photos. It is true that with at least Nikon you would need an AF-s lens but it seems they're going that route with their lenses.

Since you are going to take mostly indoor photos I would say to consider buying a flash so you can take better flash photos than with the attached flash. Extermal flashes can bounce giving softer light and eventually you might consider attachments for more flash options.

Nikon D3000, D5000, D3100 and the Nikon 35mm/f1.8 lens.

Another good option would be like a Pentax Kx and get their kit lens to start with.

I would chose either Canon or Nikon. I don't know much about Canon, so for the Nikon side you have:

Entry level:
d3000
d3100
d5000

The Nikon d90 is a prosumer camera which solves both of these isues. Not much to say, its a fairly good and popular camera.

If you are just starting with photography have a look on Craigslist, or amazon or something like that. Look for a D40x, or a D60 something that unfortunately has been discontinued but is a great beginner camera. I bought my D40x for about $400.00 at the time, (9 months ago), now the D60's are going for $350.00 so I mean if you'r just starting out these entry level Dslr's are great to begin with and upgrading after lets say 7 or 8 months wouldnt be a bad idea. Upgrading to lets say a D90 would be great because the features are a little tweaked but for the rest its almost the same body control wise, also the price of the D90 is significantly higher then these entry level cameras. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back