First time flying with camera

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Friday will be the first time I have flown with my camera. It's a domestic flight and my camera is digital. Anything I should know about security, theft, x-ray?

I am also going to be on my own through security with 2 toddlers, a diaper bag, a stroller, a laptop bag, my son's toy/snack toddler backpack and a bag with extra clothes and overnight supplies (our last flight trip I was thrown up on and delayed due to storms. Never traveling without extra clothes/diapers/meds again). Point to all that is my hands are going to be VERY full and I am worried my crumpler bag is going to be a come-rob-me flag.

This is a very real concern. I have 2 year old twins and every time we go through security I keep a keen eye on my stuff. That being said, i have "leashes" for my kids. They are the little backpacks that look like animals and have a tail on them which is the leash. Anyway that's how I keep controll of it. If I had to chase one of my kids down, someone could easily swipe my stuff, so keeping controll of them is my major priority. Also I would try to pick the line with the smallest amount of people. Just a couple of things to think about.

I travel with my cameras all of the time. I just keep my eyes on it and I havent had a problem with theft. If its Digital, you should have no problems. They run it through the x-ray and your fine. If it is a film camera you should tell them, then they x-ray it and manually check the camera and all of the film. I went through the Las Vegas Airport once with my film camera and about 50 rolls of film. I was ready for them and told security, and all they did was take me aside and manaully check it and swab all of the film for anything illegal. Put it all back in my bag and was good to go.

I travel with my cameras all of the time. I just keep my eyes on it and I havent had a problem with theft. If its Digital, you should have no problems. They run it through the x-ray and your fine. If it is a film camera you should tell them, then they x-ray it and manually check the camera and all of the film. I went through the Las Vegas Airport once with my film camera and about 50 rolls of film. I was ready for them and told security, and all they did was take me aside and manaully check it and swab all of the film for anything illegal. Put it all back in my bag and was good to go.
How did you ever get the TSA inspectors to obey the law? In my case, I've given up trying. I even had the problem during the time that I was employed as a TSA instructor!

You know I never even thought to worry until last time I flew. I was flying with my laptop and I am currently on crutches so I always get pulled aside for more checks. well this time I luckily was traveling with my wife and I of course had to take my laptop out of my bag and it ended up spending a few extra seconds on the end of the belt without my attention. When my wife got out to the end she actualy spotted someone who looked like flight crew picking up my laptop. So I guss the best advice is to try to keep everything in your eyesight as it only takes a second for someone with sticky fungers to pick up your gear. The most important thing is to pack all the electronics so they are easily accessable so you don't get stuck taking a year and a day unpacking and repacking everything for that overzealous TSA agent who invariably needs you to take out all of your electronic gear so he can search it individually.

How did you ever get the TSA inspectors to obey the law? In my case, I've given up trying. I even had the problem during the time that I was employed as a TSA instructor!

I just had the film ready in ziplock bags and told them about it. It took a while to swab and scan each roll but I expected it. Put it all back in my bag and moved on.

I just had the film ready in ziplock bags and told them about it. It took a while to swab and scan each roll but I expected it. Put it all back in my bag and moved on.
I'm impressed.

I would walk up with the rolls in my hand, saying "Hand inspection, please." The response was "Put them on the belt." After two or three repetitions of the conversation, I'd ask for a supervisor and the conversation would again be repeated. In the meantime, a line is building up behind me so I drop the rolls in the trash (they were not exposed).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back