First time Head shot

MatthewSimes

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was recently asked to do head shots for an aspiring actress I know. I feel the final product is decent, but after lurking here for months I decided to be the one that gets put in my place by the pros.

So what do you think, is this good enough for a headshot? And what could I do to improve on it? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• $image-1383033698.jpg
    $image-1383033698.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 150
I like it. Question, and this is only for my selfish gain. Did you use a softbox, camera left? Trying to learn to read the catchlights in order to determine the lighting and positioning of such

Yes, strobe with 24x30 softbox on left, large white reflector on right, strobe with umbrella above for hair light and another strobe with softbox on background.

very nice image

It is indeed a nicely done image. I think just a little more light (~1/3) stop fill camera right would have helped. The shadow on her hair is just a little (and I do mean 'little') deeper than I think is ideal. Also, try and raise your key up just a bit so you get the catchlights more into the 10/2 position.

It is indeed a nicely done image. I think just a little more light (~1/3) stop fill camera right would have helped. The shadow on her hair is just a little (and I do mean 'little') deeper than I think is ideal. Also, try and raise your key up just a bit so you get the catchlights more into the 10/2 position.

OK John, I'm officially stalking all your lighting related posts

I wondered if the shadow was a tad too deep, although the reflector was very close to her, I'm not sure how to increase it really without just using a seperate strobe instead of a reflector (frankly I don't use reflectors enough, this was one of my first uses of one in a long time.

And good note on the catchlight positions.

Overall, for a relative beginner though, I guess I did good for a free headshot. Thanks.

Last edited:

OK John, I'm officially stalking all your lighting related posts
Ruh-roh....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back