First time n here

M @ k o

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok ,I need to know whatz wrong with my photos, I have the camera now, 20D.
I'm ready for it so rip it I need to know what I'm doing wrong. I'll start with this one.

Statue2.jpg

How about some more info? :) What led you to taking this shot? Were you trying a new angle, going for the texture of the stone, trying to capture a mood?

Very hard to say "what's wrong" with a shot until you tell us what you wanted to acheive with it.

And a 20D is "a" camera....not "the" camera. ;)

Yes Terri the angle I thought in my eyes on this shot was what I wanted to achieve. Also, as you mentioned the texture was what I wanted to mix with this capture as well as the clouds in the background. Should I have used a fill flash to make the texture more detailed? Or maybe shot this in BW?

" A man " can also be call " The Man " too, if you know I mean. Thx for replying terri.

john3eblover said:
using punctuation in your posts helps a lot. things like commas

You should capitalize when starting a sentence. Using , not using. And after a period. . Things , not , . things

It could just be my monitor but it looks very flat and 2D (if you know what I mean?) Although I don't have a clue what can be done about it either!:confused: Maybe some additional lighting would get rid of the dark areas at the base of the statue and provide more form and texture?

Would a filter have helped with the sky? Looks very pale and bland to me.

I agree , it lookz alittle bland. I'll go back and try some different settings with better lighting one day. Thx for replying.

first off, lets stick to critiquing the image, not grammatics!

you mentioned you have "the" camera now; 20D, and are probably expecting awesome results and you're obviously not happy with this shot. i agree, it needs some tweaking here and there, but, back to some basic questions like Terri was on to. what were you trying to achieve with this shot? what don't you like about it? did you use auto or manual mode? what type camera were you previously using before this one?

critiquing this image is one thing, but unless you understand the equipment you are using, you will continue to ask yourself what you first stated, "Ok ,I need to know whatz wrong with my photos?" Terri referenced that quote simply because some can achieve better results with a crappy 35mm manual box than others using the lastest up-to-date high tech model. you are creating the image, not the camera. i shoot 99.9% manual, that way i have total control of the outcome. if im unhappy with it - trash; it was my fault, not the cameras....assuming your equipment is in proper working condition.

give a bit more info; maybe the solution will be enlightening for us all!

Thx Jon ,

Well first off I'm coming up from a Canon AE-1 , and now I have a 20D. I know I have quit a learning curve with the 20D also. I think I used the wrong setting after doing alittle studying. This shot was taken in Creative Mode. My problem I believe was with my settings.

Create Mode AV
ISO 400
1/60 - F29

I should of went full Manual and tried a few different settings. Maybe with a tripod too. My main interest in this capture was the low angle looking up at the clouds and I wanted the clouds to be focused as well as the statue. I thought AV would be the choice. I just didn't like how dark the statue turned out. I know it's not the camera Jon, and I think I'm getting to anxious in producing shots from this awesome camera without experimenting with all the features.

Hmmm I think the composition is great, the colours and darkness (or lightness of it in my opinion) is what's letting it down.
I just took a photo like this not 2 hours ago, but it was a statue of a cup thing. I personally like it when the whole statue is blacked out because the sky is what's been metered for. Looks like you've sort of gone for an in between look.

I know it's not the camera Jon, and I think I'm getting to anxious in producing shots from this awesome camera without experimenting with all the features.
That's all I was trying to say before. ;) You know the old platitude about it all coming to what the photographer does, not the camera? You just need to be patient and try lots of different settings, AND take notes when you do hit on something you like. :)

I happen to like your composition; it's dramatic and I like the clouds, too. So I can say you achieved what you were going for there. I think what you need to work on here is getting familiar with different exposures on that big bad 20D. :razz: And give yourself the time it takes to get through the learning curve. Be patient with yourself - you have a good eye already, and I'm sure you'll get there. :D

no sense in beating a dead horse. between your response and Terri's comments you definately have a focus now.

keep 'em coming, i do like your work!

Yeah terri, your absolutely right, "patience and notes" gotcha , will do. Thx all !

Like some have said ; your shot just needs some tweaking. boost contrast in the sky; open up the shadows in the statue and sharpen it up.

On the tech side I would recommend a smaller aperture to get all in focus (like f11-22) and with your primary focus being in the area of the back of the hand to ensure front to back sharpness.

good start mako.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back