First time photographer...

So, I've been practicing some more with a higher aperture, and that just makes the picture darker and darker as I go higher? Instead of using flash, should I slow the shutter speed to let more light in? Also, I still can't seem to get the back flower in focus with the front one. What do I need to do to correct that?

So, I've been practicing some more with a higher aperture, and that just makes the picture darker and darker as I go higher? Instead of using flash, should I slow the shutter speed to let more light in? Also, I still can't seem to get the back flower in focus with the front one. What do I need to do to correct that?

Yes........ When aperture gets smaller (larger number), then shutter speed must get slower to keep a correct exposure - or the ISO must change..

Depth of Field is a known and can be calculated, but let us just say that the smaller aperture helps, but sometimes you must focus halfway between your two desired points to get both in focus... of course, sometimes you cannot achieve this and still have an attractive bokeh or background blur..:D

Guess I better go out and get a small tripod then...Slow shutter speeds and my hands don't mix well. I'll have to try some more when the wind dies down as well. It was blowing the flower around like crazy, so even with a tripod I couldn't have gotten a clear shot off...

To get the background flower in focus you will need a highter aperature at about f16 or higher.
Doing this will decrease the light entering the camera so you will need to either adjust the iso higher or use flash.
Unless your camera is on a tripod I would not suggest a slower shutter than 1/60th.
Heres a cheat, switch your camera to auto and see what the readings are, then match those settings if you are using manual settings. This will help you get a starting point. Use your metering in the viewfinder to insure the exposure.
Go out to the flower with a note book and your manual and jot down the settings as you take a picture. Take several, changing each setting every so slightly and see what happens. This is the practicing and reading part.

Most reactions

Back