First time photographing people and not cars

Jay.DeVries

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So yesterday I had my first session with an actual person and not just a car. I was nervous because I have never done it before, but i think they turned out alright for a first time.

Denielle by Jay DeVries, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, like I said, my first shoot with a person, but I like it and am still learning.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of the images feel too soft. Other than that it's a decent effort.

Nice posing ideas. A few could use some cropping but not too much. Some fill light or post processing would fix the eyes.
That'll take a lot of processing to open closed eyes. :)

I agree with Kieth's assessment on the lighting.... I'll just rattle off the first few things I noticed...

1) Composition & cropping... some of these have awkward crops or leave a lot of space above your subject's head. ...the 3rd, 4th, and 9th shots are examples of this (there are a few others).

2) Lighting isn't necessarily where you want it (Kieth covered that). Sometimes just a simple reflector (collapsible reflector) is all you need when shooting outdoors in the daytime (and someone to hold it).

3) You've got some missed focus. I think at least one of these was caused by subject movement. But in others it looks like the camera either locked focus in the wrong spot or perhaps the subject or camera moved after focus. Usually I peek at the eyelashes which should be reasonably well-defined... but these look a bit soft (perhaps too soft to save with a sharpening adjustment.)

In the urban settings, watch your vertical lines... some of these shots aren't level.

I like the shot on the stairs, but it needs to be straightened and I think the focus was closer to her feet then to her face and eyes.

Most reactions

Back