First time playing with lights

newphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Friends!

TGIF! I'm wondering if I could gather some feedback on a shot that I took last evening. I had 10 minutes to setup + shoot because he had to join his teammates for practice. This was my first time playing with lights, but I'm rather pleased with the results. I think it works!

I fired three SB700's, one at each side and one beside me. Feedback is always appreciated!!

Attachments

• $Soccerfinal.jpg
    $Soccerfinal.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 175
Unfortunately you missed focus. :(

Lighting is dynamic, I like it.

I thought that too!

Strange... I focused directly on his right eye. Even stranger... it was shot at f/22.

:(

EDIT: It was raining quite hard, perhaps that played a factor. Sigh.

Curious, since your shutter was at 250.. I assume you were battling shutter sync. Was the f/22 because you needed darker ambient?

Might be a newbie mistake, but...

I exposed to black out the background. Because I wanted to maintain quality (this will be in print), I kept my ISO at 200 and bumped the shutter speed to 250; 125 wasn't enough. Either way, I was happy with the results.

Given that, I adjusted the lights and found a perfect exposure (foreground) at f/22.

Next time, I may power-down the lights and drop my aperture to f/16. Rookie mistake.

PS- thanks for the comments, these are helping! Do you have any suggestions for next time?

You could use an neutral density filter in front of your lens to get you back into a sharp range such as f/8.
Always check you viewfinder for focus before shooting, it's the icon in the lower left(usually) that looks like this [>O<].
D2Hdisplay_zps43f086a4.jpg

You could use an neutral density filter in front of your lens to get you back into a sharp range such as f/8.
Always check you viewfinder for focus before shooting, it's the icon in the lower left(usually) that looks like this [>O<].

Great! I will look into a ND filter. Thanks for that.

Also, I wasn't aware of that in the viewfinder. I'll be more cautious in the future and make sure to look for it. Thanks again...

Great! I will look into a ND filter. Thanks for that.

Also, I wasn't aware of that in the viewfinder. I'll be more cautious in the future and make sure to look for it. Thanks again...

Another great idea (I do it, anyway). "De-couple" your focus button from the shutter button. Meaning, the half press of the shutter button will no longer engage the focus motor. In your menus, usually under custom settings for shutter/focus... Have the option for "AF-ON ONLY" and only press and hold that button while focusing and then leave it alone once you're locked.

If you have any more questions about that, there are hundreds of videos on youtube explaining how to decouple your focus button.

Here's one I just found:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another great idea (I do it, anyway). "De-couple" your focus button from the shutter button. Meaning, the half press of the shutter button will no longer engage the focus motor. In your menus, usually under custom settings for shutter/focus... Have the option for "AF-ON ONLY" and only press and hold that button while focusing and then leave it alone once you're locked.

If you have any more questions about that, there are hundreds of videos on youtube explaining how to decouple your focus button.

Here's one I just found:

[video]Improve Your DSLR Focus Accuracy - YouTube[/video]

Perhaps I will give it a try. I can see it being an issue in some cases, so maybe only when I am shooting shots like this under similar conditions. Does anyone have any feedback on the lighting and/or composition?

If you have a soft image maybe the insanely low apeture has something to do with that? It usually make my photos softer to have such high numbers on the aperture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back