first time shooting at night

nomav6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
this is a picture from this weekend, it was the first time I tried to take pictures at night. I think I could have done better with a tripod though, but let me know what you think.
0321963-R1-035-16.jpg

As a night photographer I really don't know what to say about it. My first thought is that it's over-exposed. But then you said it was handheld so I know it couldn't of been too long of an exposure. Then I saw the lines in the background. Which tells me you adjusted the brightness / contrast or did some dodging or something to get it that bright. (i.e. tried to get to brighten stuff that is just plain to dark to work with)

My point? I think you're right and would do better with a tripod. I don't even take daytime shots without a (tri/mono)pod.. nothing worse than getting home and seeing you didn't get the clarity you hoped for.

it was a 1sec exposure, I had the aperture open as far as I could, so Im guessing this is the reason for the over exposure look, I'll go out again and play around some more with it, should I speed up the shutter also? or was it just the aperture that was giving it that bright look?

oh, and thinks for the tips so far. the photo forum is starting to become one of my fav. sites :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back