First time shooting film....

Another question; Would it be cheaper to develop it myself? Is it worth going through the trouble or should i just pay someone 5 bucks to do it?
Color film is a little cheaper to develop yourself (assuming you already have all of the required equipment), but it's not a night-and-day difference. Black and White, on the other hand, is much cheaper to do yourself.

The equipment you would need costs around $100 if you buy it all new (you may be able to find a lot of it cheap/free on the used market). You would also need either a scanner or enlarger (or both)...

I should probably get 'aprosummer' scanner then!
Another question; Would it be cheaper to develop it myself? Is it worth going through the trouble or should i just pay someone 5 bucks to do it?

It depends how much you're shooting. Up-front it cost me around 80 bucks to get everything I needed for b/w film. (all from freestyle photo), but then there's the scanner cost as well. (I use a v700) I now do my own color too ever since the 1hr lab I liked closed shop, so add that to the mix (around 20 bucks will get you a unicolor set good for around 8-ish rolls) If you don't feel like doing all that, then paying someone is fine. For me, I shoot a lot of film (or did till I got my x100) so the cost of all that stuff was cheap in comparison to paying someone.

Sw1tch, I do love your shots they look great, but personally, even though I don't enjoy spending hours scanning, I do enjoy the cost benefits of doing it myself vs a pro lab. If I were making money with my film shots, I might think differently about it..

Most reactions

Back