First time shots at 300mm

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I borrowed a 70-300 today for tomorrows shoot, and I decided to try out some candids at the river/park area where I normally practice each day. This is the first time I ever used a 70-300 and it was pretty fun. I have a bunch, but have not gone through them all as I have to go play assistant tonight on a shoot for a high school reunion, but anyway, I thought this one was kind of cool when I shot it, the way the fire hydrant stuck out and the white windows on red building.

curious as to thoughts.

*note*, it's much easier to shoot candids at 300mm undetected, lol, however I have a bit of issue learning the focus part. lol

7522843040_631101a5f5_c.jpg

It's not focusing issues, it's camera movement issues. The longer range magnifies camera movement as well. You've GOT to hold it still, end of story. Wait until you try a 500 ;)

Used tripod with shutter release cable. However, it was quite windy, so I'm sure that didn't help.

Nope, that doesn't help. When it's windy the camera will sit there and kind of buzz with a long lens on it.

A couple of things: When using a tripod remember to turn VR off since it will cause a loss of sharpness. When it's windy hang something heavy on your tripod hook. I use my camera bag if nothing else is handy.

cool shot, though I would have probably cropped out the plastic tarp thing at the very top.

I was thinking about cropping that out, my woman said to leave it. lol.

I don't use vr on tripod. I did have my strap on my camera though, and I'm sure the wind caught that and caused some shake. ;-)

Ernicus said:

I don't use vr on tripod. I did have my strap on my camera though, and I'm sure the wind caught that and caused some shake. ;-)

You can always use a hand grip.

Ernicus said:

You can always use a hand grip.

Whaddya mean?

Most reactions

Back