First time using off camera lights, first time in studio... CC if ya want =)

bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pierrebphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I made a post a week or so ago about my first time shooting in studio. I had done concert images for a local cover band, now they wanted some studio shots for a demo album and website.

I hadn't been in a studio for about 2 years, since I took some entry level classes where we really didnt do much with the lights.

So this was a huge first for me.... really nervous as I wanted good results.

I did blog about the experience if you want to know more (and see more images), link is below in my signature. From working in a tiny space, having 5 people to shoot, ... fun times :mrgreen:

Here are a few of my faves. Comments, criticism... bring it on, I want to get better! Hopefully this is decent for a first.

The band is Retro Spex (hence some of the treatment and the glasses in some images hehe)

1. Can you tell who the 2 singers are lol
5469297850_9f317d12ac_z.jpg

5469297904_dc70ea84e9_z.jpg

3. A bunch wrong with this one, but I still like it haha
5469298096_1af4662c74_z.jpg

4. Banner style, to give them an idea for their website
5468704249_7d7be3854f_z.jpg

And a few more individuals
5469298484_e32d5dd442_z.jpg

5469298580_fa6ec4bdd9_z.jpg

5469488046_1556cdb65b_z.jpg

I like #4.

#1 could use a UWA to make it funky looking a bit.

Ohhhh, some really good stuff here P. Immediate thoughts......

#1 - Love the fact that you placed everyone's head on a different vertical level. I would clone the reflection out of the dude's glasses, leaving only the chick to have them. The singers are #2&3

#2 - Great camera position and processing. I just want more guitar.

#3 - I like it too. Nothing wrong with that.

#4 - For consistency’s sake, I would clone OUT the second reflection of guitar guy's glasses (lower one, right lens) and clone IN two reflections on the bass player. As an aside..... the fact that the blue glasses on on the dude in #1 and the chick here.... I might not put them too closely together in a series. Continuity.

#5 & 6- Splendidly done.

#7 - Pretty static, but okay.

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

I think you did a really good job considering it's your 1st time in x number of years!! I find all to often with our customers that we have great shoots sometimes, and other times not so good. It's so dependent on the connection and the mood ect.. Especially with shots like this. It's clear to me that you had a great connection with your subjects as it shows in the pictures ;)

For a critique: Lighting looks pretty even across the group, but if possible I would try and move them further from the backdrop. In # 3 it almost looks like the dude with long hair is almost touching the backdrop he is so close? I could be totally wrong ;) Also with # 3 the conversion is a tad flat and dark on my monitor.

#5 and 6 are great!

#7 I would pull him off the backdrop a bit for sure!

Best,
Jay

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate them.

schwetty good point about the uwa. That shot was at 18mm. I tried wider (probably not that wide though) and I got alot of crap from the sides of the backdrop. But yeah, funky it would of been

kundalini, thanks for the tips on the details. I started to think about this when shooting, but found it hard to get the lights placed properly to get good reflections in all their glasses. I prefer things right in camera, but I guess sometimes, I just need to do more PP.
The image I find things wrong with: "hair" light a bit too strong on camera left and not strong on camera right. Shadows on the long hair guy's face (just a bit) and some cut off fingers.

jason, you are 100% right with the backdrop. But I was stunned that the place had the backdrops on the long walls in a rectangular room, cutting the shooting space. I had my 70-200 ready, but had to shoot group shots at 30mm to get them all in. My back was against one wall to shoot these, so I was a bit crammed. I thought about having them 3-4 feet in front of the backdrop before hand, but I wasn't able to. If I had 1-2 people, then maybe. But very good points.

I know the band, have shot them before, so yep, it helps in building a rapport.

Great shots. Agree with the cloning out on the glasses. Otherwise these look excellent.

#7 looks like Heath Ledger.
I like # 4 the best.

I really like #2. A little more guitar would be nice but still an excellent composition.

Most reactions

Back