First Time using the D3S in an Arena

gsxturbo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I rented the D3S for the weekend for an arena Lacrosse game. I'm going full frame soon and I have read a bunch of great reviews on this camera so I figured I'd go with this one since I've read it does awesome with sports events. Being that it's inside and crappy lighting can anyone suggest settings? I'm using a 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 So I should be ok on speed. I'm obviously looking for crisp looking stuff. I'm hoping to get some shooting 9fps.

How big are Lacrosse arenas? I'd be more worried about having enough "reach".

Its the same size as an indoor hockey rink, I'll be on the players bench.

I always found 200 mm to short for field sports, and used a 150-500 mm zoom instead.

For a hockey rick near the middle of the ice 200 mm should work fine.

Settings - AF-C, 21 point area, back button focus, A mode (f/4), float the ISO, keep a close eye on the shutter speed and exposure meter in the viewfinder, anticipate the action, use good camera handling technique, get faces and expressions in the shots, shoot fat so you have room to crop.

Thanks for the help KmH, should I stick with 3d color matrix or center weighted for metering?

Don't be afraid to crank the ISO on that body. You should be able to get f3.2 / 1/800th. Not sure of the ISO I'd have to be there. 200mm on a fx is short so use what you have. Chances are the arena isn't lit evenly. Shoot in the well lit area more than often.
A lil noise n darkness won't hurt but blur will!

Most reactions

Back