First time with a tripod.

xDarek

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got my new tripod and I was at my grandparents house.I don't know how to use the tripod so I want to know that do you think about this picture.

Attachments

• DSCF4075.JPG
    DSCF4075.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 185
As we can tell by your picture here:
Focal length : 149.7mm
Exposure time : 0.025 s (1/40)
Aperture : f/6.5
ISO equiv. : 125

your shutter speed is at 1/40 and that is way too slow for the focal length you're shooting at to get any sharp images. What you can do is increase you ISO to get a faster shutter speed of double your focal length. For this you can use your tripod or hand hold it, both will work.

If you had tried to handhold that shot it would not have been anywhere near as sharp as this one. The tripod makes all the difference. Very few people can handhold a 40th of a second shot at 150mm and have it be sharp.

If you are using a tripod, shutter speed is not important. I take photographs inside mediaeval churches which needs exposures of over a second.

As far as I can tell from the small image on my screen, your image is sharp enough - with birds, the bird moving causes more problems than the camera does. For that reason, you need fairly fast shutter speeds but that has nothing to do with your post about using a tripod.

www.johns-old-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

your shutter speed is at 1/40 and that is way too slow for the focal length you're shooting at to get any sharp images.
That's the whole point of using a tripod, it allows you to shoot at slow shutter speeds without introducing camera shake.

What you can do is increase you ISO to get a faster shutter speed of double your focal length. For this you can use your tripod or hand hold it, both will work.
That only applies if you are hand holding. If you are using a tripod you can use any shutter speed that stops subject motion, if the subject is static then you can have very long exposures with no loss of quality.

your shutter speed is at 1/40 and that is way too slow for the focal length you're shooting at to get any sharp images. What you can do is increase you ISO to get a faster shutter speed of double your focal length. For this you can use your tripod or hand hold it, both will work.

um, that's the whole point of the tripod. But it doesn't make sense to shoot a moving object that slow regardless.

I thought about mentioning all those things, but in my experience it is sometimes better to limit the amount of detail in order to not overwhelm the starting photographer. Anyway, all good points you can chew on OP, just take your time and ask for more info if you are not sure.

Thank you for your feedback!!!!

Did you use self-time or remote shutter release? Also try to use mirror-lockup to minimize shutter vibration.

Yeah, even on the tripod, the very act of pressing the button shakes the camera. Use the self-timer for at least a 2-second delay on the shutter.

Thing is, for the subject you posted, you want high shutter speed and probably a hand-held camera. That thing's not going to sit there and wait for you, especially if you have the delay timer on the shutter button. If you can't get the shutter speed you want, you'll need to raise the ISO until you can, or simply shoot another day or another setting when there's more light.

Most reactions

Back