First time

Quizbiz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A friend of mine's maid is getting maried, and due to the lack of funds, I was/am willing to photograph the wedding. I don't plan on asking for any money, except to cover the cost of getting the pictures printed (where should I do that btw?).

Anyway, I have never done special event photography, but I have wanted to do it for a while. I am clueless though, as to how I should conduct myself, and my camera. I consider myself to be shy sometimes too, and I am afraid that might get in the way of things such as conducting group shots.

My guess is that its going to be a very low-end wedding. I plan on taking a tripod, my Canon PowerShot S1 IS, and the camera I finaly convinced my mom to buy yesterday, a Rebul 300D.

I don't even know how to start asking, or where to start looking. I just want to do as good of a job as I can do, especialy since it will be the first time I will have an SLR all to myself. :p

Does anyone have any experience in the field? Any tips? Any tricks? Should I be using the highest quality? I have a little more than 700 MB worth of memory (compact flash). Will the battery on the SLR last long enough?

Quizbiz said:
I consider myself to be shy sometimes too, and I am afraid that might get in the way of things such as conducting group shots.

I just want to do as good of a job as I can do, especialy since it will be the first time I will have an SLR all to myself. :p

A wedding is not a good place to learn about new equipment. I'd say use whatever gear you are used to using. A fancy, new camera spells disaster if you don't know how to use it. You will get better results with a camera you know.

You can't be shy with the group shots or it will take forever. You have to be able to diplomatically boss people around to get the job done. I'd try to do it before the ceremony. People are fresher and more cooperative then.

how long do you have until the ceremony? You might have time to get familiar with your new 300D, if not, i'd say bring it along but be prepared to use the familiar camera. Also, is the wedding indoor or outdoor? If its indoor, then you will need an off camera flash. Also, the tripod will probably just get in the way and the slower shutter speed you'll need it for will be blurred due to people moving anyway. As for shots of people walking down the aisle, get a couple of the memorable events (i.e. flower girl, ring bearer, bride) on the way in and take the rest on the way out, that way you won't get in the way, no one will really care once they're married

Most reactions

Back