First Timer - Need Advice

lizzy77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, this is my first post. I would like some advice for a rookie as myself. I am very interested in starting a small business in photography. I was told I have to fill out a Business Registration form and then start from there. I am taking a few courses at New York Institute of Photography and I've been told I have a good eye! I'm thinking of starting small, a few portraits here and there, what do you recommend?

I recommend, in no particular order: 1. Contact your local adult ed facility and find otu if they have any entrepreneurship courses. Find out what the business license/tax laws in your area (They vary widely).

2. Get in touch with a local camera club, and spend some [lots] of time getting the basics down pat, and learning lighting and portrait techniques as well as building up your kit.

As almost everyone here will tell you, a photography business is very much about business and very little about photography. You also need a good knowledge of photographic law before you start accepting money for work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not for a second trying to discourage you, but rather make sure you're aware that there's an awful lot more to it than a 'good eye'!

Do a short course on running a small business, they will teach you the essentials you need to know.

Research, research, research. Here (in Michigan) I had to fill out paperwork with both the state and the county. Some cities require additional forms, too. I also had to get a tax ID# from the IRS (depends on what type of business model you use - LLC, sole prop., etc), and apply to pay state sales & use tax. A few of the forms had fees attached, too.

Thanks for the info. I called Small Business Association and they sent me a Business Registration Form to fill out and they told me that is the most important form to fill out right now for tax purposes

Most reactions

Back