First trails of the season + new lens!

afoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This was my first night out shooting with the new Rokinon 14mm, so far I'd say its a great lens!
Unfortunately I was still to close to the city lights to really push the lens to its limits for night photography (had to shoot at f/5.6 rather then f/2.8)
Iso 200 and 744 second exposure for any who are interested.

A very subtle milky way rising along the horizon line.

I would appreciate any c&c!

delta_01 by abbye dahl, on Flickr

bump! any thoughts?

Honestly I'm not the best to comment on this kind of work. To me. The sky just looks blurry and out of focus. I'm not a fan of this kind of photography.

However. I love the bottom half and think this would of been awesome with a in focus dark Milky Way sky. I can see it now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually saw this when you first posted it and didn't say anything because of what my mom always told me. "If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all."
With that said, I have seen your other work and find that really appealing. I don't think this photo is quite to the level of your other work. I am viewing this on my iPad so that could be part of the issue but, the trails look out of focus or something... Sorry I couldn't be more specific/helpful with my C&C and don't forget it is just my opinion.

I actually saw this when you first posted it and didn't say anything because of what my mom always told me. "If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all."
With that said, I have seen your other work and find that really appealing. I don't think this photo is quite to the level of your other work. I am viewing this on my iPad so that could be part of the issue but, the trails look out of focus or something... Sorry I couldn't be more specific/helpful with my C&C and don't forget it is just my opinion.

Hahahaha fair enough, I appreciate the thoughts :p

SScarmack, Thanks for the thoughts on the bottom half, I just wish the skye were dark enough here for an only milky way shot.

I'm pretty sure the stars are out of focus because you shot at f5.6. To get both the stars and foreground in focus, I think you'd have to be closer to f16 (just a guess) or higher. You could always try stacking the image. Take a quick shot of the foreground then take your long exposure of the stars. Which would also help give you longer trails. It's only my opinion/preference but the trails in your photo are a bit short. They don't give enough arc. Lastly, I think there's some distortion towards the upper corners. The trails aren't concentric towards the edges. At least some of this should be able to be corrected in post. If not you may want to crop it out. That is, if it bothers you.

Most reactions

Back