First Tries at Family Portraits

Juga

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello all. I am very new to family portraits but here are a few that I thought came out decent. My major complaint is that I accidentally cut off their legs. Any C&C is appreciated. Thanks!
1 $Ocampo Family - 05MAY13 (17 of 64).jpg
2$Ocampo Family - 05MAY13 (25 of 64).jpg
3$Ocampo Family - 05MAY13 (36 of 64).jpg

Maybe just me and I am no expert by any means and just getting into photography my self but all 3 of these seem just a bit soft to me. Then again it could be because im looking at it on my phone.

Maybe just me and I am no expert by any means and just getting into photography my self but all 3 of these seem just a bit soft to me. Then again it could be because im looking at it on my phone.

Since you said that I jumped on my phone to look and they look a bit soft on my phone too. On my computer however they look decently sharp.

Your exposures look good, but I would say #1 and #3 should have been shot with the camera in the vertical, or portrait orientation.
You even added a vignette in #3 to accomplish essentially the same thing.

More supplemental lighting would have separated your subjects from the background better. I can see a pin light on the little girl's eye which indicates you used an on camera flash for fill.

A simple way to make better photos is to get closer so the amount of background in the shot is minimized.

Last edited:
Your exposures look good, but I would say #1 and #3 should have been shot with the camera in the vertical, or portrait orientation.
You even added a vignette in #3 to accomplish essentially the same thing.

More supplemental lighting would have separated your subjects from the background better. I can see a pin light on the little girl's eye which indicates you used an on camera flash for fill.

A simple way to make better photos is to get closer so the amount of background in the shot is minimized.

Thanks, it is a habit that I am having a hard time breaking. I used my Speedlite 430EX on the hotshoe.

How about this one?

Attachments

• $Ocampo Family - 05MAY13 (6 of 64).jpg
    $Ocampo Family - 05MAY13 (6 of 64).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 150

Most reactions

Back