First Tripod and Head Purchase, could use a little help.

pcolaheadbussa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have spent the past few days doing alot of research on different setups, mostly manfrotto. I have decided on the manfrotto 190xbpro tripod as it seems like a good tripod thats not overly expensive and compact so i can take it hiking with me. Now i just need help picking a head. I was thinking the manfrotto 498rc2 head but am running into alot of mixed reviews about it. Mostly people complaining about it dropping after tightining up. Will other brand heads mount onto the manfrotto tripod? Anyone have any other head suggestions in around the same price range as the 498rc2? I am a beginner photographer just taking pictures for fun and sharing with friends and family so i dont need anything profesional, but at the same time i would like to get something of good quality that will grow with me as i get more practice and will not have to replace soon. THanks for any help guys.

Adam

I received the 190XB and 496RC2 head for Christmas. I couldn't be happier with the combo. I use a Canon 40D and my heaviest lens is a 200mm f2.8L. I've given it some pretty heavy use in the couple of weeks since then and not had any problems.

Any standard head should mount on to any standard set of legs. I've not heard of any problems with the 498; I have an old version of it on one of my sets of legs and have never had a problem with it; Weigh your heaviest load (Lens, body, grip) and make sure that the rated load capacity for whatever head you select is at least twice that of the weight of the heaviest gear you will be putting on it.

I dont have any experience with 498, I have the Manfrotto 804RC2 Tripod head which I think is very good head. I have never had a problem with it slipping after tightening it. Anotehr thing that I also like about this head is it has one of those air bubble things in liquid, to help you see if the camera is level (sorry i cant think of the english term for it).

Anotehr thing that I also like about this head is it has one of those air bubble things in liquid, to help you see if the camera is level (sorry i cant think of the english term for it).
It's simply called a 'level'. ;)

Lol, something as simple as that :lol:

I have a Manfrotto 190xPROB with 496RC2 Compact Ball Head. Love my tripod setup, will eventually upgrade to a joystick head eventually though

Most reactions

New Topics

Back