First Tripod Purchase HELP :P Is this decent?

I did quite a bit of research because i have no idea with tripods :p

Do you think a 4 section is better then 3 section or should i just stick with this choice?

from my own limited understanding a 4 section is weaker than a 3 section, for stability. I have the 055XBPRO, it's a very popular model.

Just looked it up. It looks like a really good one unfortunately i don't have that money to spend :p

Just trying to get some feedback from anyone who has used this model? Just to get an idea on how well it performs and the quality and all that since i'm a Noob at choosing tripods.

Unless you need the portability of the 4 section, the 3 section would be ideal because it is more stable when extended. They are both just as sturdy if you don't extend the legs though, which is often how I'll shoot landscape. If you can mess with it before you buy it that would be ideal, and if not, be sure to check it out as soon as it arrives. REALLY test the stability. If you're on a tight budget, you can give up most of the features of fancier tripods, but not stability, that's the reason you have it. Make sure the thing is a rock, and if it's not, send it back because you'll end up replacing it anyway. It's not a brand thing either, quality varies a lot from model to model. When I was tripod shopping I had ordered a Gitzo Explorer. Gitzo has a great and longstanding reputation for tripod quality, and the explorer was priced right alongside all of their top of the line models, but it was not stable. Lots of cool features, and every possible position you could imagine, but that doesn't mean anything. I can hold the camera at a weird angle unsteadily with my hands, I don't need a tripod for that. I ended up exchanging it for a Mountaineer after 2 days, and it is extremely stable, though more limited in features.

Just make sure you end up with something that will never make you want something more solid.

Yeah i will probably go and check it out tomorrow at the store to see if it's too heavy (1.9kg) and i will check if the size when folded (60cm) is too large and annoying. I will be definitely checking to see if it's sturdy. I was pretty much set on buying this one but then I found out that tripods came in 4 and 3 sections and that made my decision harder :p But yeah I will hopefully have time to check this one out tomorrow and if it checks out i will be buying it.
But what is your experience with the weight of tripods? as in what is to heavy for a travel tripod do you think?
thanks for the replies.

The rule of thumb when buying a tripod is that there are 3 features available:

Sturdy
Light
Inexpensive

You get to pick two... So unfortunately your budget doesn't really allow for anything all that light. Of course how sturdy you need depends on how much gear you intend to support with it, it will still be hard to find reasonably sturdy and portable at your budget I think. My setup is is 2.6kg with the head, 2.1 for the legs alone, and I don't mind hiking all day with it. The trick is to keep it close to your body for comfortable carrying, not 8 inches away from you on the back of your pack. If I'm hiking with a tripod, then it's usually attached to (or inside) a non-photo backpack, with my hiking stuff. The camera and lenses are in an over the shoulder bag. If I'm really travelling light then there is no backpack and the tripod is in a shoulder bag also.

Well I went to the store today and bought the Manfrotto. I bought this one with the RC-2 Ball Head it came with Manfrotto 293 Aluminum Tripod 3 Sections - 290 Series
it is the smaller version of the one i orignally intended to buy. I was very surprised at how tall it could extend so I don't think I needed the taller one as this model is perfect for my height I think. The weight is also 400 grams lighter so that is also a big plus and i saved 20 dollars :p. I am happy with my first tripod purchase I think. Now i just have to use it for a while and see if it performs well :). I also need to buy a case :p.
Thanks for the help again guys.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back