First try at offroad motorcycle racing

EDL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last minute trip to a local GNCC race. Quads and UTV's ran Saturday, but it was raining heavy, so went out Sunday afternoon as the rain lightened up. Was still heavy overcast and some rain.

Unfortunately, GNCC racing isn't as exciting as moto-x...no jumps, just basically flat mud.

Here's a few, please C&C, thanks:

$DPP_26-sm.JPG

$DPP_78-sm.JPG

$DPP_124-sm.JPG

$DPP_160-sm.JPG

5. Got a decent sequence here
$DPP_298-sm.JPG

$DPP_299-sm.JPG

$DPP_300-sm.JPG

$DPP_301-sm.JPG

$DPP_302-sm.JPG

$DPP_306-sm.JPG

Nothing?

bummer...guess I need to work harder to wow you folks...tough crowd! ;)

Your shutter speed is to fast in #1, #3, and maybe #5.

The tires and wheels should be blurred to support the sense that the riders are in motion.

I agree with Keith that it would be interesting to sense the motion blur, but I like your 5 first shots a lot. The other ones are not as strong. Last one would be better if you would see more of the water on the right side (rule of thirds).

On the last one, actually, that's not water...it's a banner on little posts along the edge of the track.

So motion blur on the wheels, etc is preferred? Hmmm...personally I prefer motion frozen, but next time I'll try to do some of both.

Your shutter speed is to fast in #1, #3, and maybe #5.

The tires and wheels should be blurred to support the sense that the riders are in motion.
Our sport actually prefers them frozen or at the very least just a hint of rotation, you should still be able to see each knobby.

Sort of like this. Any slower on that back tire would've been to much rotation though. http://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/static/wallpapers/2013/09/547.jpg

On the last one, actually, that's not water...it's a banner on little posts along the edge of the track.

So motion blur on the wheels, etc is preferred? Hmmm...personally I prefer motion frozen, but next time I'll try to do some of both.

Not sure what you're shooting with, but I'd say overall they all lack sharpness.

#6 has potential though, I'd suggest moving the rider to the left side of your photo and also getting in tighter. Sort of like this:

$DPP_306-sm.JPG

Another thing I like about this one is that you're down low, perspective is very important.

What kind of gear are you using?

I like 2, 3 and 4. The mud flying is really cool to me.

Shot with a Canon T3i and Canon 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS USM.

Yes, they had woods, but the heavy overcast made it too dark to shoot in the woods. I tried a few and they didn't come out very well. Didn't want to crank the ISO too high since this is a crop sensor body, anything over 1600 ISo starts to show noise.

Not sure what to do about the sharpness, those were sharpened some with unsharp mask...didn't want to over sharpen them.

Most reactions

Back