First try with studio lights (self portrait)

Angie_H

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Its me again.. ;)

I just got my studio lights in Tuesday, and I wanted to try them out. I have never worked with controlled lighting before, so i was not sure what to do. It was very trial and error.
(the backgrounds are actually large (32" x 40") pieces of mat board , so that is why they are only headshots)

I had no model with me, so i had to use myself and a remote.

I think 1 is probably the strongest, and 4 is the weakest due to the dark shadows. I think I may have had the lights a little high compared to where I was sitting?

I am not so sure about 2 and 3?

Any opinions?

studio1.jpg

studio2.jpg

Thanks,
Angie

I think they look pretty good for your first shot at using them. I too have some lights, but have yet to use them. Maybe some day!

Howdy,

Nice shots, have they been photoshopped at all?

Moose

Moose said:
Howdy,

Nice shots, have they been photoshopped at all?

Moose

I cropped them and adjusted the levels...

I used the healing brush and then ran Kodak Airbrush pro on them... I had the settings up a little to high, and it is a little more "plastic" looking than i would like, but... i will probably play with that more later.

Ah.....

That probably explains why mysteryscribe was saying the light doesnt look natural.

:)

Good work on your shots, I will have to look at this Kodak Airbrush Pro thing.

Moose

I'd like to see the actual shots you took as opposed to when you cleaned them up. I think the best way to improve is to look at your raw footage (or whatever the term is for non-film) and decide what to do differently.

modbohemian said:
I'd like to see the actual shots you took as opposed to when you cleaned them up. I think the best way to improve is to look at your raw footage (or whatever the term is for non-film) and decide what to do differently.

Here are the originals.. no cropping or editing at all (except resizing to post here)

studio3.jpg

studio4.jpg

Angie -- much better! Now, you have the essence of the photos. With the exception of #4, they do seem a bit underexposed. I'd also like to see a hair light to pick up some natural shine on the top of the hair. Also, I'd personally set the camera just slightly higher than your (the model's) eyes. I'd be careful with showing the back of the hand in #4 -- the back of the hand shown is a bit aggressive for a female. You're very lovely, and I prefer the poses of the other shots better.

Not bad for your first trial & error use. I'm sure you'll learn & pickup on it. Although I'm still somewhat new to the photography field, I think you did a good job under the circumstacnes.

i think they are very nice and pretty. also, i think you did a very good job positioning yourself, good chin placement, did you conciously move your chin up and forword, or is that just naturally how you hold your head? its very good.

Too much shadow under the chin/hair, use a white reflector to put some light in there, I would also highlight the hair with another light slightly behind/above and a stop over your main light. Not bad though for a first attempt I'v seen a lot worse.

Very nice for a first time. I'm also not a big fan of that air brushed look...especially when the model doesn't really need it. Some touch ups are usually fine but when you start to look like plastic...it's gone too far.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back