First Wedding as Paid Photographer

jmthompson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jmthompsonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some shots from my 2nd wedding. My first wedding I shot for no charge; they just had to pay for any prints, and they ended up buying several hundred dollars worth, which was a great boost to my confidence! For this wedding I charged a nominal fee, but I made sure the client understood that I was still building my wedding portfolio, and I was not an experienced wedding photographer. The bride-to-be had viewed my website and was impressed with my other photography, and since they had not planned on a professional photographer anyway, they were excited to give me a chance!

I would welcome any comments and constructive critique!

560439411_xoaZb-L.jpg

560439469_PHsv4-L.jpg

560439631_7mKN9-L.jpg

560439574_vXbUH-L.jpg

560439754_k9rm2-L.jpg

560439301_w8GFp-L.jpg

560439817_c9tGU-L.jpg

560439707_29Evg-L.jpg

560439365_3bkFQ-L.jpg

560439871_mrZmS-L.jpg

560439946_WHH9W-L.jpg

560441610_Cr3S2-L.jpg

560439245_dr72P-L.jpg

The ceremony was 7 minutes long, so that was a bit of a challenge, and it was windy, cold, and had been raining off and on all day, although no rain for the ceremony (I don't think it had time!!!), but it was a great experience, and I am looking forward to my next one!

Some really nice shots in this series, the little girls in orange are quite adorable.
I think you've captured Shot #5 especially good.

They look great, but the #5 shot lost it for me with the green of the flowers in the foreground.

Thanks for the comments! I was disappointed by the leaves being in the way in #5, also. I had a small step stool, which probably would have eliminated that, but it was set up on the other side of the ceremony. I had planned on moving around to the other side and shooting a few shots from a higher perspective, but it was over before I had a chance! One lesson learned...ask how long the ceremony is! They definitely weren't Catholic (my ceremony was!)! Does anyone actually carry a small stool around when shooting? Or do you set it up before the ceremony in a likely spot, and then plan on taking some specific shots from there?

Thanks again!

There are some nice compositions here. I think most of them could use a bit more processing, though #12 has just the right amount.

The lighting seems pretty flat in most of them, but, hey, what are you going to do for an outdoor wedding short of dragging around half a studio with you?

Nuke 'em with your flash. That's what... >.>

Just kidding. They're pretty good. I agree about the flat lighting though, again, what the heck to do about it? Hire three assistants and have them run around with your speedlites and diffusers? I don't get the feeling that was in your budget. :p

The lighting was definitely my main concern! It was a very dreary day, with lots of rain and fog. When shooting by myself, I haven't quite figured out how to manage the lighting, etc., as you have pointed out! The wind was also blowing about 15 mph, so we had to shoot FAST, as everyone was freezing. I would love to hear how anyone else handles this sort of situation, at least until I can hire one of those handy assistants!

Or five. I joked about having assistants a lot with one of the guys at my local camera store. Like any of us has the money to hire people. :p

If you Marry your Sweetheart Wearing Jeans and a Ball Cap...You Might Be a Redneck :lmao:

But seriosly teh pics look Great....maybe like some said before a little post-processing..but over all Great Job!

Good shots. I am glad he took the time to put on his nicest belt buckle on his wedding day. :roll:

Haha, nice of the groom to dress up! :D

Some nice shots there, that's a pretty cool location with the rocks, actually. Nice work, it looks like you are well on your way! :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one banging my head over the groom and groomsmen in jeans.

Looks like a pretty good start for someone new. Did you have a circular polarizer? If not, it might be one of the first things to invest in next. I agree on the flash/diffuser/nuke comment... joke though it was. Get a bracket to hold the flash off the side of the camera to help the shadows and such.

Unfortunate skies for such a pretty setting. Mother nature needs to behave herself on wedding days.

Oh btw... that watermark is SERIOUSLY distracting. I almost stopped looking at your pictures because of it. Something to consider.

Thanks for the comment on the watermark. I thought about that after I had uploaded them, and I probably should have taken the time to reload them. These were the resized and watermarked images that were on the WM DVD for the client, so for the sake of efficiency, I just used them, instead of resizing others. I will use a corner watermark next time for the forum, because I definitely don't want anyone not to look because of a distracting WM!

Everyone has to remember, this is South Dakota, "cowboy country", not "big city"! This is a "formal wedding" here! Actually, I don't think I would accept a "formal wedding" assignment until I get ALOT more weddings under my belt. It does seem like the winter weddings (indoors, church) are more formal, so by this winter, I will have more experience and be more comfortable accepting the more formally-attired weddings (no more rain slickers and boots for my outfit!).

I do have a circular polarizer, but I didn't use it...not sure why! I never even gave it a thought! Definitely will next time. I have another wedding in this same general area in a few weeks, so all of this advice is going to be very useful! Hopefully the weather will be more cooperative!

I dunno, the shots of the bride/bridesmaids and flower girls are great... then the guys get thrown in and it throws it all off. Looks like photos of the bride with some distant cousin that showed up for the free food to me. I can appreciate a 'casual wedding' but wow, throw on a sport coat or something. You don't have to be 'big city' to dress up a little for a wedding, especially your own.

Too much clash for me to really appreciate I guess, so little off topic perhaps but the photos just don't work for me because of this.

To each their own, and they do look happy.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back