First Wedding Set

Juga

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good morning all! So I have posted a few from my first wedding already but here are the ones that I ended up liking best. I know that there are a ton but any C&C is appreciated. Feedback makes me stronger so it is appreciated.
1 $The Browns (82 of 525).jpg
2$The Browns (91 of 525).jpg
3$The Browns (148 of 525).jpg
4$The Browns (158 of 525).jpg
5$The Browns (162 of 525).jpg
6$The Browns (168 of 525).jpg
7$The Browns (169 of 525).jpg
8$The Browns (259 of 525).jpg
9$The Browns (339 of 525).jpg

Attachments

• $The Browns (161 of 525).jpg
    $The Browns (161 of 525).jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 144
Joe, way to many to go give each one c&c, but one thing that I notice is the sky. In #1,2,4 & 5 it looks drab, I can tell there is plenty there but it needs to be tweaked. What I'm thinking is a graduated filter and cool down the sky and add saturation.

Overall I think you did good job for your first wedding. Here is my general consensus. You did a really good job with framing, composition, creative ideas, and poses. The whole picture frame thing makes me want to gag, but you really pulled off #2. I tend to gravitate toward more contemporary and timeless poses for weddings just so they don't look back and remember the fads instead of their big day. #6, 7 need a shadow boost on the grooms face. He is really lost in the darkness. I really like the drama you added with the clouds and walkways. Keep them consistent. Maybe add a little more depth to the clouds in 2, 4, and 5. Getting overall consistency with your skin tones and your images will come with time, but that is something to keep in the back of your mind. You want your wedding galleries to be very predictable and consistent for future clients who book you. You captured some great moments between the couple and with their bridal party. They should be really happy with the work you did, because I think you deserve a pat on the back. The first one is never easy! :)

Yeah we were dodging weather all day. I know there is a ton but last time I spilt them up I got inconsistent feedback

Thanks Kathy. I did notice that the skin tones weren't consistent after all was said and done. I will certainly keep at it.

I looked at a number of them in the very largest size offered, and it seems like the lens or lenses used are simply not all that good. For example, the groomsmen and groom, raising their drinks...the focus is "on", but the lens seems to be turning in a poor performance. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...1211807-first-wedding-set-browns-161-525-.jpg I see the same thing on shot #1 and shot #4...that lens needs to be upgraded. For a first set, these look decent--I've seen much,much worse. I think overall, you seem to be leaving a bit too much top space on your verticals, even for 4x5 or 8x10 ratio final images. If you want to shoot for 8x10 aspect ratio, I would see if you can get an aftermarket viewfinder screen that is scribed for that aspect ratio.

I do not mean any offense by this, but you are showing somewhat of a tendency to clip your people off a bit awkwardly at the bottom of the frame, and are leaving a lot of top space, and this looks less-than-ideal. My suggestion? Move to a camera that has a larger, clearer, and better viewfinder. The smaller, lower-cost d-slr's have poor pentamirror-grade viewfinder images; one major feature that the better cameras offer is a bigger, brighter, sharper, clearer, and simply better viewfinder--and often it's also easier to literally SEE the entire picture area, especially if you are wearing glasses. As an eyeglass wearer, I speak from experience; viewfinders that are easier to see allow me to shoot better. THis is a major reason I prefer a higher-end camera over a lower-end model, and have since the 1980's.

I think you did really well for a first wedding! I can't imagine how relieved you must feel now that it is over. lol

I looked at a number of them in the very largest size offered, and it seems like the lens or lenses used are simply not all that good. For example, the groomsmen and groom, raising their drinks...the focus is "on", but the lens seems to be turning in a poor performance. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...1211807-first-wedding-set-browns-161-525-.jpg I see the same thing on shot #1 and shot #4...that lens needs to be upgraded. For a first set, these look decent--I've seen much,much worse. I think overall, you seem to be leaving a bit too much top space on your verticals, even for 4x5 or 8x10 ratio final images. If you want to shoot for 8x10 aspect ratio, I would see if you can get an aftermarket viewfinder screen that is scribed for that aspect ratio.

I do not mean any offense by this, but you are showing somewhat of a tendency to clip your people off a bit awkwardly at the bottom of the frame, and are leaving a lot of top space, and this looks less-than-ideal. My suggestion? Move to a camera that has a larger, clearer, and better viewfinder. The smaller, lower-cost d-slr's have poor pentamirror-grade viewfinder images; one major feature that the better cameras offer is a bigger, brighter, sharper, clearer, and simply better viewfinder--and often it's also easier to literally SEE the entire picture area, especially if you are wearing glasses. As an eyeglass wearer, I speak from experience; viewfinders that are easier to see allow me to shoot better. THis is a major reason I prefer a higher-end camera over a lower-end model, and have since the 1980's.

Trust me I was thoroughly disappointed with the lens after many suggestions that "it is the best crop sensor lens" and blah blah blah. I used the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. In a lot of the other shots it would have a ton of distortion on the edges and would bend the horizon upwards. Next time I intend to stick with my instincts to go with 'L' glass.

No offense taken. I have noticed I have a tendency to chop people off on weird parts of their body and leaving a ton of space which forces me to crop a ton in post.

With that being said, I am getting a 6D next week! I am super excited! I know the view finder is only 97% and the current one I use is 95% but it overall feels better in my hands and the viewfinder is much bigger than my T4i. I loved the 5DIII but I can't justify the extra $1500 since this isn't my profession and more of a hobby sprinkled with side jobs. I really can't wait for my 6D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you did really well for a first wedding! I can't imagine how relieved you must feel now that it is over. lol

Thanks! Little side story. I finished editing the photos and was doing a final look through to make sure I was happy with my edits. I had previously highlighted all the photos for the export then I found one that I forgot to delete so I deleted it before I deselected everything and deleted ALL the images! I was able to recover the images but had to redo all the edits again...my relief can not be understated enough...but I still think it was a ton of fun to shoot a wedding and can't wait for the opportunity to do it again!

Thanks! Little side story. I finished editing the photos and was doing a final look through to make sure I was happy with my edits. I had previously highlighted all the photos for the export then I found one that I forgot to delete so I deleted it before I deselected everything and deleted ALL the images! I was able to recover the images but had to redo all the edits again...my relief can not be understated enough...but I still think it was a ton of fun to shoot a wedding and can't wait for the opportunity to do it again!

OMG. I would die. lol What program were you in? My son is a monkey see, monkey do and always hops on my laptop when I leave my chair and alwaysssssssssss manages to jack things up in LR. lol He deleted stuff one time but I found that they have a "undo/go back" type option that pretty much goes back FOREVER. I hit that button I don't know how many times but finally got my images back he had deleted.

LR. I tried to go back because I back up everything but the back up was really old. It was a mess.

The 17-55mm Lens is actually a really good crop sensor lens and in fact most would give it near L quality its also the priciest crop sensor lens but remember, like ALL lenses shooting at 2.8 is not going to be the sharpest. I tried to see what you shot these at and it appears the data is not present. If you are outside try not to use an ISO higher than 400. Another huge tip, even if you have an older DSLR that can't keep up in RAW for the ceremony at least shoot in RAW for the posed pictures so you can retain as much information as possible. Just my two cents. Don't give up on that lens though it really is a good lens just give it some more practice and i'm sure you will come to love it. Unless you are upgrading to a 24-70L you will not see much improvement in upgrading that lens. :)

The 17-55mm Lens is actually a really good crop sensor lens and in fact most would give it near L quality its also the priciest crop sensor lens but remember, like ALL lenses shooting at 2.8 is not going to be the sharpest. I tried to see what you shot these at and it appears the data is not present. If you are outside try not to use an ISO higher than 400. Another huge tip, even if you have an older DSLR that can't keep up in RAW for the ceremony at least shoot in RAW for the posed pictures so you can retain as much information as possible. Just my two cents. Don't give up on that lens though it really is a good lens just give it some more practice and i'm sure you will come to love it. Unless you are upgrading to a 24-70L you will not see much improvement in upgrading that lens. :)

I wasn't as impressed with the 17-55 like you seem to be. It was fast and I do know at wide open it won't be as sharp but sharpness wasn't my issue. Whenever shooting at f/4 or f/5.6 the edges of the frame would bend upward. Thanks for the input though.

Most reactions

Back