First Wedding Shoot

Ch3ckmate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone! I'm scheduled to be a 2nd shooter for an upcoming wedding. This is going to be the first wedding I've ever done so i just wanted to ask what I should be looking out for. Any tips or advice?

I've done several mock weddings that a friend of mine as set up in the past, but this will be the first real wedding for me. I'm just a bit nervous. My primary responsibilities will be to take some candids and some shots of the groom and groomsmen.

Any and all advice would mean a great deal for me. Thanks!

Just do what you do. There's pressure, but once you get there and start shooting, it will ease. Arrive early and ease into it. Act like everything is working out, even if it's not. But you still have to know what you're doing. Not every exposure will be a canvas. But make it good. Serve the customer. Act positive throughout the day. It improves the creative flow. If you're negative on yourself, your work won't be as good. If you know what you're doing, it will come to you.

Good advice! ^^ Above all else, make sure that you totally clear in your mind about what shots you need to get and what sort of "look" is required. Talk to the primary and find out if there are any must-have relatives (Has old Uncle Joe, who no one's seen for 40 years travelled in from Outer Gumboot Junction for this?), make sure all your gear is 100%; clean everything the night before, charge all your batteries, format your cards, and double and triple check your settings (ISO, WB, mode, etc). If something does seem to be going wrong, DO NOT get stressed. Take 30 seconds (or a minute) and relax. Better to miss one shot in that time, than turn in 200 mediorcre ones because you got nervous.

GOOD LUCK!

Be in control of the shoot. Stay on time or ahead of time. Have all of your posing ideas written down, in order, so you can glance quickly at them to maintain a constant flow. Know where you are shooting and what lighting conditions you will have. If you have an iPad utilize Pinterest for posing ideas. Take your iPad with you to refresh your memory. Make sure you are on the same page with the primary about the style of shoot that is desired.

Relax, always look for the best way to take shots and just try and have fun and focus on learning as much as you can so you can do even better next time.

Really really good advice everyone! I'm going to make sure I charge my camera battery and flash battery tonight. And I have a good idea of what types of shots to take when I get there. Just need to tell myself to relax and enjoy myself. That's when photography is fun :)

Shoot as your wish. Some capture will looking good and some bad. Doesn't matter, keep continue. Intent to control it, hopefully you get and can find out some special collection.

Be friendly and respectful of the officiant. If you are in a church, remember, it isn't rented, you all are guests. Often, being a good guest encourages the officiant to be a good host. As a Presbyterian pastor of a lovely Indiana limestone old English style church, I officiate on average 20-30 weddings a year. I always ask to meet the photographer to walk him/her through my service... "They start out with their backs to you. Don't worry, I'll put them in the Princess Bride profile 3 minutes in... They don't kiss at the pronouncement... Don't shove Grandma out of the way to get a shot that won't happen... Flash and movement doesn't bother me, but don't get behind me and become part of the wedding...!"

You might even ask the clergy for some recommended shots and positions during the service... Some are jerks (I seldom hang out with clergy for that very reason). Some may be photographers themselves and give you an idea you had not thought of before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guys this is very good advice. I am going to hire my wedding photographer very soon and I want to give him some of these advice and directions about what we wish and we need to get from him. Thanks

Do t confuse the subjects. Coordinate with the primary and don't be taking the same formal shots at the same time or the subjects eyes will wander between you two. Make clear to those you are shooting to look at the primary and you can take completely different shots without distracting folks.

I assume that the wedding is over and I hope that everything went well... I'm curious to see your result! There are many good advices and I fully agree with previous contributions. I just add that I try to communicate with the people I am photographing, showing them images on camera LCD etc. There is better cooperation between us and explaining my expressions is easier then. Moreover, they also can say what they like and what we could make better. A pleasant side effect of this are already mentioned reassurance and greater comfort while shooting.

I assume that the wedding is over and I hope that everything went well... I'm curious to see your result! There are many good advices and I fully agree with previous contributions. I just add that I try to communicate with the people I am photographing, showing them images on camera LCD etc. There is better cooperation between us and explaining my expressions is easier then. Moreover, they also can say what they like and what we could make better. A pleasant side effect of this are already mentioned reassurance and greater comfort while shooting.

I would completely disagree there. I NEVER show clients ANYTHING except the finished product. especially not pictures on the back of the camera. everything looks good on the 3 inch screen. if it turns out to really look bad at 100% and you have to throw out that photo, and the clients remember seeing that particular one and ask about it..what do you tell them? only show clients what you KNOW is a good photo.

I would completely disagree there. I NEVER show clients ANYTHING except the finished product. especially not pictures on the back of the camera. everything looks good on the 3 inch screen. if it turns out to really look bad at 100% and you have to throw out that photo, and the clients remember seeing that particular one and ask about it..what do you tell them? only show clients what you KNOW is a good photo.

^^^^^^^^^^ this.

I have not made such experience yet and fortunatelly I've never met with it. My clients are mainly ordinary people , no models, and this style has proven to me/us. Not only with wedding or portrait photo, I apply it with success while traveling. I need to be in contact with people and communication with them is crucial for me. Of course, I didn't have in mind browsing the hall set of phots, only few of them.

But who knows, maybe one day I will think about your words and will give you the truth
:sexywink:

Do not hit on the bride's mother.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back