First Wedding Shoot

Christie! that was great! Can I print this thing for my use only?

Please, anybody, I really need an example of a release form so they can take it to wherever they get prints made.

JEazy said:
Please, anybody, I really need an example of a release form so they can take it to wherever they get prints made.

I haven't had to do this very often. When it has come up, I've typed a quick note stating that: "This document may be considered as permission to duplicate the following image(s) for the purpose described below. This permission is granted solely for this one occasion and use. All additional rights reserved." Then I descsribe the image and use... say... portait of John and Jane for use on wedding inviatations.

I'm sure someone esle here will have something better.

But in your case, isn't possession of the files enough?

Pete

Christie Photo said:
But in your case, isn't possession of the files enough?

Sometimes people will take the disc to a walgreens or Wal Mart, and the people there will give them a hard time about printing "professional photographs." I guess the bigger companies are just trying to cover their butts from lawsuits.

Reverend said:
Sometimes people will take the disc to a walgreens or Wal Mart, and the people there will give them a hard time about printing "professional photographs." I guess the bigger companies are just trying to cover their butts from lawsuits.

That's exactly what i'm trying to avoid. My cousin had her aunt take her senior portraits, and they took them to walmart to get printed without a release, and they almost didn't let her get them printed because they looked "professional".

JEazy said:
That's exactly what i'm trying to avoid. My cousin had her aunt take her senior portraits, and they took them to walmart to get printed without a release, and they almost didn't let her get them printed because they looked "professional".
Oh I agree.. I was explaining it for Christie Photo. I need to find/create a similar release letter for my clients.

Well if you find one by friday, will you please post for me so i can use it for my wedding saturday?

JEazy said:
...because they looked "professional".

Oh boy.... that can raise a BUNCH of issuses. A lot of the images made by studios in my area don't LOOK professional. What then?

I think you'll be fine as long as there's no copyright statement on the CD.

What's next? Will deparment store staff decide what we should wear... eat... how we should dress... all based on our looks? I'm in trouble.

Pete

Reverend said:
I think that's something that everyone who uses photography as a part of our livelyhood should appreciate. I see too many people who come into the camera store I work in and want to scan their professional images and invariably the bst ecscuse they come up with is "the photographer wants to charge too much for his prints". If I catch someone scanning the prints I made for them to avoid paying my prices I will sue and everyone who does photography for a living should do the same. If you give money to Wal-Mart etc. to print your wedding/senior/portrait pics to avoid paying the price of the photographer you are stealing from that person. The bottom line is we all should be appreciative of someone at those stores being sticklers to copyright laws too many times I see people leave where I work and go straight across the way to Wal-Mart to get their pics scanned because some drone behind the counter could care less about someones copyright. O.K. time to get off my soap-box.

Write permission for reprints into the contract, and make sure the client has a copy. If they have problems they can show the contract. If the lab is really paranoid about copyright infringement, they may want to talk to the photographer no matter what the piece of paper says. Anyone could make up an official looking permission document.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back