First Wedding Shoot

JEazy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright so I've just been asked to shoot an former co-workers wedding because they seemed to like my photos when I worked at the local newspaper with them and I'm pretty nervous cause i've never shot one before. What different kind of photos should I take like group shots and whatnot? The wedding is next saturday so any tips would really help.

Oh, and don't really have a light setup, just a couple of $20 Vivis that I mount to tripods via sync cords. So yeah, I'd just appreciate some tips!

JEazy said:
Alright so I've just been asked to shoot an former co-workers wedding because they seemed to like my photos when I worked at the local newspaper with them...

What different kind of photos should I take like group shots and whatnot?

Stick with your normal style. It sounds like that's PJ, so don't worry so much about the formal portraits, or do the portraits like you'd do it for the newspaper. That's what they've seen, that's why they hired you, and that's what you know. You'll do fine.

Also don't be afraid to ask the couple what posed shots (groups) they want. For shots of them together do what you know and look at other photographers websites for ideas for poses.

Ask the couple :) Have them write out a list of must have shots and go from there. I agree with Matt, stick with your style as that's why they like your work.

Alright thanks guys, i think i will ask them to come up with a list of must haves, then just go from there.

JEazy said:
Alright thanks guys, i think i will ask them to come up with a list of must haves, then just go from there.

There is no such thing as a list of "must haves", just lists of "I'll do my best to get". :) Don't promise anything unless you are positive you can deliver 110%.

When brides start making lists of the shots they want it's really easy for them to end up with a list that would take days to shoot. It's going to be a busy day, and chances are things will be running late. If you are going to do posed portraits of the B & G, wedding party, and family make sure you estimate plenty of time, and then add 15 or 20 min because they'll probably start late.

That's true, I should have used the phrase "requested shots" vs. "must haves". We provide a list of the most commonly requested shots for them to fill out as a guide for us. Formals take 30 minutes max after the ceremony.

ksmattfish said:
Stick with your normal style. ...that's what you know. You'll do fine.

GOOD advice. 30 years ago, I decided to never try something new on a job. Only after you've got everything done, then do some exploring. If the bulk of your work is available light, then stick with that for the bulk of the "job."

Pete

Does anybody have a list of commonly requested shots i could use as a cheat sheet?

checklist.jpg

Wow Christie_Photo, that'll really help alot! Thanks!

ah sorry but can i get an example of a release form too?

Lots of memory cards.

Don't be afraid to take charge... When you get ready for the formals, more than likely everyone will be waiting on your queue so be ready to take charge and setup shots.

Have cards to give out to everyone that will ask you for one

Get a feel for the location during rehersal... plan your movements etc.. Make sure things like Pianos aren't moved such that they are in your way.

Give the bride the most attention, but don't forget about the groom/groomsmen, and the guests.

Hope this helps.

Remember to get some fun shots too.. Groomsmen holding up Groom.... same with bride trying to pull him away.. Closeup of rings... signing of license... I like laying on the ground, and getting everyone to lean in making a circle of faces too..

just make sure you have backup, if something goes wrong you need to be able to pull out another camera, battery or lens ect.

I just shot my first wedding over the weekend, shoot alot and sort the bad ones out later (I have 2400 shots to go through) that way you will get lots of good ones

Most reactions

Back