First wedding with the Pentax K10 need lens help.

Seven7109

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello I am doing a favor for an old horsey client and photographing their daughters wedding * insert stressed smiley here*

I have the Pentax K10 and an external flash, for lenses I have the 18-55 / the 70-300/ and a manual focus 50mm f1.4 .

I would like a lens that will cover wide angles for the group shots but will let me zoom for the nice close ups ( Making any sense ? ) I would love as much imput as possible ( wedding is in 3 weeks) and I am a wreck.

Thanks so much in advance :)
Sandra

Hi,

First up I have to ask... have you ever photographed a wedding before?
And... if the answer to the above is "no", then are they also hiring a professional?

If the answer to both of the above is still "no", then I strongly suggest saying as politely as possible that you are unable to shoot their wedding.

Now I don't mean this as an insult to your skills as a photographer; I am just speaking from someone who has been in this position myself. People think they will save money by asking a non-professional to shoot their wedding for free or very little money. But the fact is, there is actually a good reason why professionals can charge a lot. Firstly they have expenses which include very expensive equipment; not only a high-end dSLR but also a backup camera, and high-end fast lenses as well as lighting equipment. They will often have an assistant also. More importantly you are hopefully paying for years of experience in lighting and shooting under pressure.

To put such a responsibility on someone with no experience of wedding photography is not really fair. Their wedding will (hopefully) be a once-in-a-lifetime occasion, and if your shots turn out not to be what you or they are looking for, then you may both regret it for many years. So I would recommend that they either pay to hire a professional, or simply give all the guests disposable cameras... either way the responsibility does not rest entirely on your head. Honestly, if this is your first wedding work then I would really reconsider.

But... if you are set on doing it, your needs will probably be best met by a couple of fast zooms. The new 16-50mm f/2.8 and 50-135mm f/2.8 would be ideal... however they have just been released and availability at short notice may be a problem. In which case you may need to consider using third-party lenes - Sigma, Tokina or Tamron. Either way I would try to get lenses with a max aperture of f/2.8 or faster.

ZaphodB thanks so much :) I did let them know more than once I have never done a wedding just a family photo shoot and just once, the still insist that they love my photos and want me to do it. I also used to teach the bride to be for a few years so we are pretty comfortable with each other.

I will need to go with the best price one for the job I am afraid *:blulsh2:* I don't have alot of money right now.

16-50mm f/2.8 and 50-135mm f/2.8 what is the difference between the 2 ?

I will forgo the warnings of weddings as Zaphod did a good job of this and I'm sure others will give the same advice.

Is it indoor/outdoor? Having a good arsenal of 2.8 or faster glass is essential in shooting weddings, but if it's outdoor, you may be able to get away with something a little slower if it's mid-day and good lighting. My 3 favorite lenses for weddings are those listed in my signature, the 50mm I generally reserve for ceremony shots as flash is generally a no-no. You need something fast and quick that you can use w/ a low ISO to still get some good shots of the actual ceremony. I also use it for some of the formals and some of the reception shots. I really like it for those candid getting ready shots. The 70-200 is used mainly in the back of the church and also for the close-ups while the 24-70 is used any time in between.

The 50-135 would be a really nice addition to anyone's bag and might very well be my next purchase as well. There is really a shortage right now for Pentax and Pentax mount lenses given that the K10D is selling so well right now and Pentax has always put out such a short and limited supply to the manufactures. You are going to be hard pressed to find any store with nice or even average lenses in stock. I just noticed recently that the Sigma 70-200 that I paid $600 new less than a year ago is now selling for $1200 on ebay due to supply/demand.

Good luck.

The difference between the two lenses is the focal range. The 16-50 will take wide - normal range photos while the 50-135 will go from normal to medium telephoto. You have a 50mm so one starts at that focal range and goes almost half the distance as your telephoto lens and the other goes from very wide and stops at 50mm. They are both considered to be "fast" lenses as their max aperture is 2.8 so you can still have a fairly quick shutter speed while leaving the ISO at 100-200 to minimize grain/noise.

Thanks Johnboy :)
The wedding will be indoors and the after shots wil be outside mid afternoon, I am also doing the getting ready shots at the house.

The only store close enough is Henreys and online I am getting lost lol in finding any of the suggested lenses.

There is this Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5 Aspherical IF Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF for just under 300.00 ???

I'm not sure what the reviews for that one look like. Keep in mind though that lens isn't a constant 2.8 through out the focal range. It's probably only 2.8 from 24-50mm then less as it approaches the 135mm. You can review sigma lenses at www.fredmiranda.com

I would suggest the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 for a wedding. My sister recently shot a wedding with this lens and her K10D and it turned out well. It was relatively inexpensive (approx. $430) and worked quite well.

I have 3 weddings under my belt ( all for free and for friends/ family ) but I use a 18-70 and a 70 - 300. I use the telephoto for about 90% of my shots. I shoot weddings in the background and try not to interfear.

Samples of my work are in my sig

Remember that Sigmas shoot with a very red cast. To minimize it, use a thin sheet of amber in your flash.

I have used the Sigma 16-50 F 2.8 and have had great results with my K10d. I also use a Pentax 135mm F2.8 on my second body to shoot from a distance. Once I can get a holdl of the Pentax 16 - 50 F2.8, I will definitely be getting rid of the sigma !!!

Elsaspet, are you refering to sigma flashes or lenses ?

I have been practicing like crazy and shooting everything I can lol, it looks like I will have only the 50mm 1.7 AF, the 50mm 1.4 MF, the 18-55 kit lens and the sigma 70-300 zoom and the external flash.

The wedding is coming in 9 days so I am praying for some luck and good weather.

Here are some of the practice shots (dated today) http://sandrabellphotography.blogspot.com/

You can pretty much keep the 70-300 in your bag. In fact, anything slower than 2.8 is pretty much useless in a chapel or reception venue. The 50 is a nice fast lens though. If that is the only lens you have that is that fast, I'd shoot the whole darn wedding with it. Really.

The best way to shoot weddings is in Manual, but that will involve a meter reading. If you don't have a meter shoot av. Don't take any chances, just crank that sucker to 2.8 or lower at 1600. Adust.

Receptions pretty much have to be done in manual mode with flash. I have a "start out" setting of 250/1600/2.8. I adjust from there.

The best way you can practice, is to go into your home at night, turn out all the lights, and turn a lamp on. These suckers are dark.

Good luck, and show us when you are done!

elsapet :) Thanks
If any of my photos turn out half as well as your I will be happy. I am only doing the getting ready part / the ceramony / and the group shots after.
The reception was not included ( so far anyways ) I am meeting with the bride and her mom on Monday to go over details.

Most reactions

Back