First Wedding.

maddermaxx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend just asked me today if I'd shoot there wedding for them.

I refused many many times, But they still insist I do it..

I shoot B&W film, so I'd be using a film camera, for those of you that shot weddings back in the film era, how many rolls did you guys usually shoot in a small wedding?

The friend that referred me to them (thanks alot! aha) said that they just want a few pictures of them at the alter and at the reception and stuff like that, supposed to be a small wedding..

They also turned to me because there teenagers (18/19) and don't want to blow big bucks on a photog, so if I take this "job" what would be a good going "friend discount" price?

I plan on developing the negatives then either choosing myself, or having them choose possibly a set amount of photo's then taking them somewhere to be enlarged and then giving them to them for an album..

Thanks for (possibly) making my decision easier!

well if it's a really small wedding ...6 or so rolls would be plenty, no? (with backup rolls obviously)

Also, since you're friends...and they're teenagers and are dirty poor...and it's your first wedding...(biggest part)..you should probably charge them pretty cheap. Don't undersell yourself, but realize that a wedding is an important day and you have never done one before.

Thats why I didn't/don't want to do it.. Because it is an important day and I have 0 portrait/wedding experience.. I have a tough time to get my cat to cooperate let alone bridesmaids/grooms..

There getting married late December since he comes back from Army boot the 7th.

It's kind of hard telling what they want when I'm talking to the Brides friend and not the bride so I'm not sure if they want color, or B&W or a mix or what..

Color would be more expensive because I develop my own B&W but not color..

If I were you, no matter how good you are I would let a lab process my film this time. Even if you process B+W negatives every day I think this kind of important thing should not be left to chance there are so many things (as you know) that can go wrong with developing film I am sure you don't want anything to happen here. After that print away that is the part you at least can throw away your mistakes and start over again. As far as price goes I guess it depends on your experience and how good friends they are. Personally I shot a wedding for a really good friend and had been shooting weddings professionally for about 5 years and I charged them about $150 plus expenses even then I thought it was too much even though at the time I was charging $1000 minimum for anyone else.

There 18 and 19. There is a good chance the marriage will be over before you get them the proofs. Dont stress out.

Highly recommend doing an 'engagement' session before hand. You can say you won't commit until that is done and you are either A) confident in your abilities and B) they are happy with the images.

To further expand on peanuts idea, get the bride together for a quick shoot and develop those pictures (or have them developed so they are consistent with the wedding pictures).

That accomplishes two goals:

1. You can have her look at your pictures to make sure she will be happy with the wedding shots.

2. You can meet the bride and make sure to ask her what kinds of shots she definitely wants, so there are no hard feelings after the event.

There 18 and 19. There is a good chance the marriage will be over before you get them the proofs. Dont stress out.

A little bit uncalled for there dude. My wife and I were married at 19 (wife by one month) and we just celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary last Monday.

This is quite highly unorthodox but... go crash a wedding and give the hired photographer the heads up (meaning; tell them your situation, beg and plead your case, ask him/her if you can be their day slave) and see if you can shoot along side them for a quick wedding photography crash course.

If I were approached (the right way), I'd probably do it under this situation. But keep in mind, you're invited to their (the photog's) party! Don't be anything other than absolutely polite and professional.

psstt... if you can get in, take notes and offer to carry equipment.

A little bit uncalled for there dude. My wife and I were married at 19 (wife by one month) and we just celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary last Monday.

I guess you and your wife are the exception that proves the rule.

I can probably think of half a dozen couples that break your little rule Los Angeles but that is beyond the point. (I can also recall many couples who married after the age of 25 which would generally be deemed 'mature' who have split. So... I don't think age is the greatest weight or basis for the high divorce rates)

Another 'ditto' for what dpolston mention. Although I wouldn't recommend 'crashing' it (I know you didn't mean that literally, no worries), see if a seasoned photographer will take you on for one or two. Get all those 'silly' mistakes out before you are put on the spot

Well, I haven't spoken with the bride yet, just her friend that recommended me to them.

Hopefully soon she will contact me and I can see if it is, indeed a task I will be willing to tackle.

madermaxx, hope you don't mind, but I've moved this thread across to the 'General Shop Talk' forum. The 'Professional Portrait and Wedding Gallery' forum is intended to be used to show off your work, not as a discussion area. Again, hope you don't mind too much.

What.. Chris you have special powers now too? Does that mean I can be something other then a TPF Junkie if I ask nicely? :lol:

(Sorry, off topic.. *ahem*)

madermaxx, hope you don't mind, but I've moved this thread across to the 'General Shop Talk' forum. The 'Professional Portrait and Wedding Gallery' forum is intended to be used to show off your work, not as a discussion area. Again, hope you don't mind too much.

Nope, sorry about that. Wasn't sure where it went!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back