First wedding...$?

Okay, so I have shot something like 20 weddings since February. I have recently booked two more brides as solos and I am really excited about them.

As always, check my blog for latest updates. I am building a new site but it is slowly coming along.

I just read this whole thread and you are such an inspiration, Mike. As a second shooter at a wedding (or the assistant), do you shadow the photographer, or do you get different shots completely?

Wow, sorry for the EXTREMELY late reply. When I first started I shadowed the second just to get an idea of what I was doing. But after a few, I started doing my own thing which is what they want.

Things have been really good. I threw a party for the Free To Succeed Tour and David Jay came to the party...pretty sweet to just hang with someone that I look up to sooo much in the industry.

I also put together an after-party shoot for the photographers that came to the party. Below is a shot I got with my new Nikon D3.

indexms3.jpg

Last edited:
Well, first of all, congrats on how successful you have been in getting into wedding photography...

as far as the shot... umm, first thought is.. ewww, The skin is wayyy overdone.

Thanks for your feedback...however, I disagree. I only lightly touched up her skin. :)

ok, well, look at the comparison between her right and her left hand. The right hand has absolutely no detail on it (even the knuckles are pretty much smoothed out), the left hand does (probably not touched up as much). Also, her forehead and cheek in general have no structure to them. it looks very fake. Also, the two differently colored eyes are bothering me... but then again it could be a lack of light on the right side of the photo due to the fence.

But, if you like it then ok.

Wow. If that's "lightly" touched up, I'd hate to see the overdone version. I'm sorry but I have to agree on saying that it's too much. She looks too fake, too perfect. I guess if the client likes it then who am I to argue though....

are you serious?

Look, I have looked at your website... looked at your photos, in general they are quite good. I am just saying that the skin in this one is absolutely fake and plasticky.

Unless you're saying tough crowd because you're pulling our chain or something. I am very surprised to see this photo because of the quality of the work I've seen of yours. I would assume that you would also be able to see how off the skin looks. (which is why I'm sorta wondering if you know it looks plasticky and are just messing with us, defending it for no real reason).

If you don't believe us though, post it by itself in another area (say people or something like that), and see what people say about it. I will refrain from commenting there.

I only lightly touched up her skin. :)

I gotta believe you're messin' with us (note the smiley, folks).

That forehead is downright bizarre.

Jon

Actually, the balance of the image bothers me more than the plastic skin. There's way too much fence/trellis in that crop. No reason not to capture her back a little more. Throw that in a frame and it's going to be even worse.

N'Kolor, any chance you'd consider posting the original?

And maybe letting us have a crack at it?

I think there's a nice photo in there.

Jon

Most reactions

New Topics

Back