First Wedding

Fifthphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fifthphotographygallery.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
good job.. What is up with the sun glasses? I would have told him to take them off :). The dress shot outside looks a little freaky. It looks like someone is wearing it without a head LOL. It is not very clear because the manequin (or whatever you call it) is the same color.

good job.. What is up with the sun glasses? I would have told him to take them off :). The dress shot outside looks a little freaky. It looks like someone is wearing it without a head LOL. It is not very clear because the manequin (or whatever you call it) is the same color.

His entire family was constantly wearing sunglasses I did get shots without them as well but it was kinda his thing. lol I wanted to hang the dress but there was nothing to hang it on so my assistant had the idea of standing behind it holding it up. I didn't think about taking the mannequin thingy out at the time wish i had though.

1- I'm not digging the composition. I would of preferred to have their kiss more centered in the frame, this just makes the image unbalanced. Plus, she is oddly cut on her arm, while he is fully in the frame. A square crop might be nice here

2- Yeah...uh...no. The light is all over the place and I find there are alot of distracting elements in the image. The bits of flowers on the right hand side, pieces of bush/vine from the top right and alot of depth to the image, which doesnt help to showcase the subject, which is the dress. The floating dress thing is original, but looks a bit ghostly

3- She seems overly exposed somewhat, mainly in her face. Same comment about composition as #1, I find the image unbalanced. There is unnecessary empty space on the left side. With her tilting like that in the image, I would of preferred and off center composition but the other way, with him on one side putting the bride more in the center

5- Nice job, I like this one. BW is a great choice here, well done. Maybe a bit too much vignette, but that could just be my taste. Do you have one with the entire card in the frame? I'm curious how that looks

6- Interesting lighting, would of liked you to get in a bit closer on the cake to bring out those details in the icing and such.

1. So do you not like using rule of thirds? or do you think it just doesn't work for those pictures? Generally i try not to just center everything. I think your right about the square crop at the time I didn't want to restrict them on print sizes but I think it would of made it more appealing.

2. lol yea thats what you get with a backyard wedding this was the only shaded area with a decent background on the property and i ABSOLUTELY HATED the sunspots.

3. I see what you mean about having it the other way him lining up with the left edge and her leaning in but there was a telephone pole and other annoying things in the background i was trying to avoid.

5. This was one of their favorites. honestly I don't know why i put so much vignetting on this one im not a fan of heavy vignetting either. i believe i did but id have find it.

6. I had already got all of my cake shots early in the day this was just prepping for the cake cutting and i happened to really like the way it came out.

Thanks for the critique I was satisfied with my compositions but i see theres definitely room for improvement hopefully my next wedding will be in a more photography friendly environment.

Hi there!

These are all awesome pics. Bride and Groom both are looking stunning in all pictures. I really like all of them a lot. The cake one is also good. Thanks for sharing your post.

i agree with twinky on #1.
rule of thirds is fine, but rules are made to be broken.;)
the image seems more about him than them due to the fact that he is dead center.
try the square crop...i bet it'll look great!

i happen to like the sunglasses in #4 but that one poor dude doesnt have any! even if hes blind as a bat without those specs, it woulda been nice to see them all uniform with the shades.

nice set overall!

wow.

1. Processing is a little harsh, but otherwise not overly offensive. just kinda meh.
2. Honestly my reaction was "wow, looks like an animated torso of a bride coming to get me." Creepy and weird.
3. Very harsh and he looks ridiculous in the shades, but you said they insisted.
4. Is this a wedding or a high school garage band? Sorry- likely not your fault, but between the shades and the dorky poses in some park or whatever... wow.
5. Fine, I guess. The cutoff bothers me, but whatever.
6. Dark and creepy.

Sorry, harsh I know, but the "good job!" responses really kill me, and frankly I find these to be pretty ... well ... bad.

wow.

6. Dark and creepy.

Sorry, harsh I know, but the "good job!" responses really kill me, and frankly I find these to be pretty ... well ... bad.

I agree with the captain. I further with they all seem to be on one end of the spectrum or the other. However, I agree that rules are made to be broken when it calls for it,....as a general rule of thumb.

lol so I get a "awesome pics" from one wedding photographer, a "nice overall" from a model photographer and a "not bad" from another wedding photographer. But then I get a "bad" from a architectural photographer and some guy. I don't really know what to make of that but thanks for all the input.

lol so I get a "awesome pics" from one wedding photographer, a "nice overall" from a model photographer and a "not bad" from another wedding photographer. But then I get a "bad" from a architectural photographer and some guy. I don't really know what to make of that but thanks for all the input.

I think you should respect the critiques both good and bad.

I like number 1 and number 5, but I think it could have been framed 5 better. There is too much open space on the top, yet the bottom is cut off. You should have used that open space fit it accordingly.

That said, good try for your first, but I have to agree that other than photo number 5. these mostly look like snapshots. Your framing needs work along with your composition. Plus photo number 4 is out of focus.

What lens were you using?

I said good job for your first try. It didnt WOW me like some wedding photographers here (i.e. dzfoto). I assume this is a low budget wedding? But if these 6 were your best shots, then you may have a problem.

Some things to consider...

There are a lot of people on this (and many) forums that tend to give positive feedback to almost any attempt. Some people just aren't critical... some people just want to be supportive... some people are really totally clueless. It varies.

Just because a person specializes in X or Y doesn't mean they won't have useful things to say about Z or Q. It varies.

There are plenty of people on this forum who really aren't that great at photography. There are some who are amazing. Check out their stuff and see if you think it's any good and weigh that into how you take their critique... but watch out...

...there are some people on this forum who are AWESOME at critique... but suck at photography. :lol:

I'm not saying any of these things about any of the people on this thread. I don't know them. Most of them don't have enough posts here for me to recognize them. I'm just suggesting that you keep it all in mind.

I dont want to know which category I am in :lmao:

Some things to consider...

There are a lot of people on this (and many) forums that tend to give positive feedback to almost any attempt. Some people just aren't critical... some people just want to be supportive... some people are really totally clueless. It varies.

Just because a person specializes in X or Y doesn't mean they won't have useful things to say about Z or Q. It varies.

There are plenty of people on this forum who really aren't that great at photography. There are some who are amazing. Check out their stuff and see if you think it's any good and weigh that into how you take their critique... but watch out...

...there are some people on this forum who are AWESOME at critique... but suck at photography. :lol:

I'm not saying any of these things about any of the people on this thread. I don't know them. Most of them don't have enough posts here for me to recognize them. I'm just suggesting that you keep it all in mind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back