First Wedding

20 minutes? Lol

I seem to recall that you're a UK guy. It takes a lot of us US people 20 minutes to get to our next door neighbors house. :)

Don't let the wedding-nooby-naysayers rattle you too much. There is a lot of wisdom in what they say, but they are a bit more alarmist and forceful about it than I think is warranted.

There definitely is a better/more cautious/prudent route to getting yourself into your first solo wedding shoot, but the fact is that some people really need people like you to come shoot pictures at their wedding... They haven't the funds, or perhaps even the level of concern, or both... that other folks have. Many people wind up in your shoes and survive with grateful couples in their wake.

Honestly, of the probably 200 people I've seen like you on these forums in almost 10 years, I'd say that as much as 95% of them worked out with everyone fine and happy.

Sure the remaining 5% were as about as bad of a disaster as you can possibly imagine, but they don't build boats to decorate the harbor, now do they?

damn. i WISH i still only had to drive 20 minutes to work. I have at least a 50 minute drive to work if im stationed in orlando that day, about the same if im in Sanford, and about 1 hour 20 minutes if i get sent out to the Kissimmee station. oh well. Its a job. eventually I might move closer in. We do seem to get a lot of threads starting with "new photographer taking on wedding for first time." do any of them come back and post about their experience with it, for better or for worse, so to speak?

I'm just going to offer up my two cents.

Always remember, that it is not only about the equipment. Do YOU feel comfortable, and ready for the shoot? How much practice have you had with photography, and do you know your equipment inside and out? I think these things will improve your results ten-fold.

HOWEVER,

I would like to say, know the limitations of your equipment as well. Your gear will not perform the way you'll need it to indoors. And a flash will be more or less a bandaid fix for the images. A lot of PP will be required to bring the images up to where you'll want them to be.

Don't be discouraged though. Just get it in writing whatever you do that both parties fully understand the circumstance. Anytime money is involved I would do this, just to be on the safe side. Afterall, if they aren't paying another photographer, other than you, than you are the photographer. Just remember to breath, be prepared, read up on tips and above all, make the client feel like they are the king and queen for the night. Keep the client happy, and even if the photos aren't museum quality, they could recommend you later on.

Good Luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back