First wedding...

Boop's_passion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A friend of mine asked me to do her friend's wedding photos. I have been taking pictures for years, just not wedding pictures. I have done family portraits and along those lines, but nothing that formal. I am really nervous and I know that she is understanding, and wanting to save money, and I believe in myself enough to do it. I am meeting with her tonight to go over everything and just touch base.

I figure I would tell her since I have little experience and little work to show her, let me take her engagement pictures to show her how I work, if it's good enough for her and so on.

I really need the experience and the confidence and I read all of the tips and things, I was just wondering what other tips you had as far as charging, engagement session, so on....it really help me out. I am so nervous and excited; I just need all the help and tips I can get. Thank you! :)

If you aren't organized, have someone who is assist you. For the formals you will have to go through the list with efficiency and will need to be able to wrangle the various family members.

The usual (and safe) advice is to tell your friend to hire a pro...this is their wedding. After all the guests go home and the clothes don't fit any more...all you have left is memories and photos. Wedding photographers are expensive, I can see why anyone would want to save money...but of all the expenses involved in a wedding, photos might not be the area to skimp on.

That being said, you seem like you want to (and are capable of) doing it for them.

If you can shoot nice portraits, then formals should not be a problem. Make sure to budget enough time on the big day...it can take a while to get all the shots with all the right people. People wrangling is certainly a skill that is needed. It will probably help that you know the bride and maybe some others.

For other stuff, like the ceremony...make sure you aren't guessing on the settings at the time. While you can recreate some of it...for the most part, it's a one time thing...you have to be ready and get it right.

Backup, backup, backup. Like I said, it's a one time thing...if your camera or flash breaks or stops working...you should be able to carry on with backup gear right away.

Have fun.

I am having my wedding photographer (who is retired) going along to help me, I am still really nervous, and I want to do good, and I think I can. She is totally understanding and she said she is having a small wedding, and that everyone is going to patient. So....thank you for all your advice. It is appeciated and will be taken into consideration.

Most reactions

Back