First Week Shooting...

Lockeseven

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I just wanted to share a few pics from my first week of shooting. Right now I'm basically getting to know my camera (D3100) and trying out different combinations of aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. I'd love to hear your thoughts, thanks!

1. f/6.3 1/160 sec ISO 100
DSC_0052sized.jpg

2. f/8 30 sec ISO 100
DSC_0651sized.jpg

3. f/5.6 1/80 sec ISO 3200
DSC_0751sized.jpg

Hi! I'm brand new to the forum, and photography, too, so can't help much with the technicalities. But here goes ...

1 - The tip of the dog's ear being cut off is a little distracting, as is the paving slab in the bottom left. Composing the "whole" picture (so to speak) is something I've struggled with in the past and I'm concentrating on trying to rectify it too.

2 - Nice picture. I'm sure someone will be along to let you know how you can avoid the "spot" in the middle of the two lights. Not sure if you intended your, your camera and tripod shadows to be in the picture or not :lol: but I quite like it. It does seem to be a little off horizontal though ... or maybe that's just my eyes?

3 - This is my favourite. Nice and simple but effective. I think next time, though, I'd try and get the candle sharper as I find that a little distracting to be out of focus.

As I say, no help on the technicalities, but just my 2p worth.

The lights in #2 look a little blown. I agree with the previous post about the dogs ear, very distracting, never cut off any body parts unless it's portrature.
#3 is a cool idea, some of the photo looks a little oof your main focus point however is alright I can't really tell from my phone.

too bad about the dogs ear.
thats a badass pose for that little guy. looks like hes got attitude. would like to see it grunged up. :thumbup:

Keep on shooting, you have a great start!

Look into the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Its very well written, aimed at beginners, and could compliment your current trial and errors :)

Great looking photos.

#1: As said before, I wish the top of your dogs ear wasnt cut off.

#2: I dont believe the shot is level. I could be wrong but the white balance looks off to me.

#3: Great shot.

Keep shooting and postin. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back