First Year Great Blue Heron

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was on a local beach watching my Osprey cruise around when I saw these three young Great Blue Heron flying in from long island. They seem to be pretty young and they were having a tough time flying with a stiff wind out of the north. They landed on the beach to take a break.. This series is shot with the Tokina 300 with no TC... Comments welcome..

First Year Great Blue Heron Posed by krisinct, on Flickr

First Year Great Blue Heron Portrait by krisinct, on Flickr

First Year Great Blue Heron Close Up by krisinct, on Flickr

First Year Great Blue Heron Classic by krisinct, on Flickr

First Year Great Blue Heron flight 1 by krisinct, on Flickr

Nice!

We're currently in Florida and I was out taking some early morning sunset pictures. Just as I was packing up, I had one of these guys land about 15-20 by me...and s/he seemed to really enjoy the camera too!

Great group, 3 really looks awesome to me. I have not seen many people useing a 300mm tokina besides you. It looks like it is working great! Nice job!

Tailgunner, these guys were young and leary. I think they probably flew at least 10 miles directly into a 15 mph head wind.
Great group, 3 really looks awesome to me. I have not seen many people useing a 300mm tokina besides you. It looks like it is working great! Nice job!
LOL, I don't think anyone else uses a Tokina 300 F2.8 these days. I love the lens. If you look at the exif it is actually wrong. The arm that controls the blades has some play in it so it actually doesn't stop down like it should. I've figured F6.3 that these are shot at is actually closer to F4.5-F5. It's almost 1 full stop off which is no big deal shooting in manual mode. If I shoot in aperture I just dial in -.66 EC...

How tall are adults?

They are kinda ugly little suckers on the ground, but in flight ( #s 3 and 4 ) They are quite beautiful. Your photos as always are #1.

Thanks everyone!
How tall are adults?
I think the adults can be a touch over 4 feet tall. These guys were closer to 3 feet probably.. and you can tell from #1 they are still kind of awkward with their bodies...

Most reactions

Back