FirstFlex camera- suggestions, advice (A copy of the Rolleicord II)

CDG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, so the third camera I've bought this week, hopefully the last. In theory this camera ought to work too. It is a FirstFlex camera made by the Tokiwa Seiki company. I have read and believe that this camera is supposed to be a nearly exact clone of the Rolleicord II camera. It has not arrived yet, but I should be receiving next week or the following sometime...

So does anybody know anything about the FirstFlex or Rolleicord camera that they would care to share? I've heard the old Rolleicord cameras were pretty good cameras, although not quite profesional grade like the seemingly legendary Rolleiflex. Anything I should look for specifically as soon as it arrives? The lenses look to be in good shape on this one, although they are unlikely to be perfect. I'm not a hardcore collector, but in my experience, many cameras end up with scratched lenses, unless by some miracle the previous owner had a filter to help protect the lens... In this case, I would doubt if the lenses are perfect, but I'm hoping everything will be good enough to take quality pictures.

My list of purchases this week looks like:

1) RicohFlex IIIB- price so low I couldn't resist, even if it is possible this unit is a display piece only.

2) Polaroid Automatic 220- I have a bag set aside for this one and intend to put it in the tank bag of my little motorcycle to hit the trails with. The folding Polaroids are fairly durable, and as long as I keep the lens protected, it is unlikely to be damaged in a tank bag. A few weeks back I ran into a rare set of cloud filters that will work with this camera, or my SuperShooter.

3) The FirstFlex camera listed above...

:) I'm addicted to old junk. 2 video cameras, 4 computers, 4 film cameras all in a matter of 6 months. In all seriousness, your thoughts are appreciated. I'm hoping to use this FirstFlex camera as a more serious venture into medium format photography, but still not so serious as to make it a large investment just yet. Something with aperature an shutter adjustments though- unlike my Spartus Full Vue which is just a snapshot camera I snagged for the wow factor, possibly lomography...

I've never heard of FirstFlex, but if it's a decent Rolleicord copy it will serve you well.

The Firstflex was made around 1950 by Tokiwa Seiki, the same company that made the Soligor cameras later. This is a quote from a Japanese site"

FirstFlex

This was introduced in 1940 by Minagawa Company, Tokyo, Japan.
This was released behind other rival TLRs since the company had had to supply the demand of the folding cameras in those days, and delayed in developing the TLR camera.

FirstFlex, incorporated N compur shutter, was a perfect copy model of Rolleicord II from the appearance to small screws. This surprised other domestic camera manufacturers, for they had been trying to manufacture like Rollei TLR, and not to manufacture a complete copy.

I think I read much the same. It looks like a really neat prospect for a unique but hopefully serviceable camera. I've read good things about the Rolleicord models as well, so hopefully this one will work out. If the RicohFlex I ordered is serviceable, than I will shoot both for a while and maybe downsize once I shoot enough to pick a favorite. Famous last words eh? :)

If the RicohFlex I ordered is serviceable, than I will shoot both for a while and maybe downsize once I shoot enough to pick a favorite. Famous last words eh? :)

Yeah, I've been thinking of downsizing for the past 75+ cameras! Craig, admit it, you have the 'addiction'! :lmao:

Besides, how can you downsize when you look at the camera you want to part with and it has this sad look, droopy lens and all that??? :D

Yes, I pretty much have the bug. I love intricate/complicated things in general. It's the craftsmanship and degree of precision to which this old stuff was created. Of course the droopy looking TLRs I find are quite endearing and nostalgic (The other day I was watching the Munsters and identified what I think was an old Spartus model that Herman used to take a picture of a flying saucer in one episode).

However, the Polaroid thing can be explained by a fascination with the weird. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back