Fish Ladder

No, that's .gov. Not their money, what do they care?! They just like spending it. I'm sure it employed a few men during the depression, so it's all justified by their reasoning.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro
Still, someone would have had to have said: "hey, let's build a fish ladder on a small dam". Who recommended it and what was their reason?
Heh heh........ you dare to hold someone accountable in .gov?! Silly man.

No, that's .gov. Not their money, what do they care?! They just like spending it. I'm sure it employed a few men during the depression, so it's all justified by their reasoning.

Still, someone would have had to have said: "hey, let's build a fish ladder on a small dam". Who recommended it and what was their reason?
Heh heh........ you dare to hold someone accountable in .gov?! Silly man.

It never does any good to try. haha

Also, I have the same app. I like it.

I sat and pondered those same questions when I heard about this thing. But there is just no way you're going to be able to go back that far and find out who okayed this project. I believe it was FDR and crew.

That does seem fancy. When do they operate it?

I've only seen two in person. One was a fairly old style--similar to a rocky substrate. The other was literally an elevator that would carry the fish up the dam, and then release them through a slide. Someone had to sit there and operate it. Fun fun.

Yeah my company has built a few. It is amazing how much tech and tax payer money is spent so fish can ****.

@snerd is that west of the Mt Scott? Or is that at the fish hatchery?
Ron, it's way west........... Go west to the Ranger Headquarters and turn left, go about 3 miles ?? And you'll see the sign for French Lake. Turn left and drive to parking, walk the Dog Run Hollow Trail veering left towards lake side. It will take you right up to the dam, about 1/4 mile.

I'll snap the old WPA metal logo-tag they embedded into concrete on most projects out there, next time I'm out there. Looks sort of like this one, but has the "shield" design.

wpasign.jpg

Here's one a little closer!

GracelawnWPAShield.jpg

I've only seen two in person. One was a fairly old style--similar to a rocky substrate. The other was literally an elevator that would carry the fish up the dam, and then release them through a slide. Someone had to sit there and operate it. Fun fun.

Yeah my company has built a few. It is amazing how much tech and tax payer money is spent so fish can ****.
Very true.

By any chance, did your company do the one on the Conowingo Dam?

Not to post-whore, but I also found this neat book while searching around for the WPA in Oklahoma...............

http://www.amazon.com/Leaning-Legacy-The-WPA-Oklahoma/dp/1885596693

The Great Depression took its toll on the pocketbooks and emotions of Oklahomans who lost their jobs as banks failed, businesses closed, and farm markets collapsed in the 1930s. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Congress created the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the largest of Roosevelt s New Deal programs designed to bring America back to good economic health. After 1939 the agency was known as the Work Projects Administration. The WPA was a work relief program that left a positive impression upon Oklahoma. Not only were workers able to earn enough money to feed their families, their work on WPA projects is a monument to the success of the program. All over Oklahoma are schools, public buildings, stadiums, armories, and parks still used 70 years after WPA workers built them. The WPA shield is permanently attached to hundreds of structures that have served their communities well. Not only did WPA leave a lasting legacy of buildings, many WPA workers learned trades from the opportunities in work rooms and in sewing rooms. WPA workers built rock-lined ditches for malaria control, dams for water storage, and outhouses to improve sanitation. WPA music, writing, theater, and arts projects added to the cultural growth of the young state. This book is a history of the impact WPA made upon Oklahoma. It also is a tribute to the thousands of men and women who made the best of a bad economic time and contributed greatly to the future of Oklahoma. Their legacy will never be forgotten.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Very true.

Nope!

Very true.

Nope!
Ok, just wondering! That would have been pretty neat.

Most reactions

Back