TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.visionsinwhite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys,
Ok, I'm looking for some critique on two items here:
First of all, does the fisheye work in this presentation or is it just too weird?
Secondly, on big gothic churches, is it always best to go black and white, or is color good on this one?
Thanks so much!
Cindy

color
IMG_7020.jpg

Black and white
IMG_7020bw.jpg

I'm digging the B&W here, Cindy. :thumbup: The distortion works here. Is it possible to reduce the contrast here - just enough so we can have some more shadow detail in the doors? I think it's a very fun shot, I like it! :)

terri said:
I'm digging the B&W here, Cindy. :thumbup: The distortion works here. Is it possible to reduce the contrast here - just enough so we can have some more shadow detail in the doors? I think it's a very fun shot, I like it! :)

Shadow/Highlight in PS might work better here...but use it sparingly...when overused, it's obvious. :) I like the distortion. :)

core_17 said:
Shadow/Highlight in PS might work better here...but use it sparingly...when overused, it's obvious. :) I like the distortion. :)
Trust me, I wasn't making a PS suggestion. Although I happen to know exactly what you're talking about in this instance, I was speaking in general terms about seeing more shadow detail. I'm sure Cindy knows that, too. ;)

Thanks ladies. LOL, Teri, I specifically thought of you when I cranked the contrast up. The difference between you and me, is that you know when to apply it and I'm still learning that part. Ok, here are two more BW renditions:

BW version 2:
IMG_7020bw2.jpg

BW version 3:
IMG_7020bw3.jpg

Thanks again! P.S. I LOVE the Fish!

Great picture, definately works best in B+W, but i'm torn betwen the last two you've posted. I really like the bottom one for seeing more detail in the lantern above the door....but i prefer the one above for the stronger shadow in the arches.....maybe just dodge the lantern and door a touch in the darker one? great pic tho :thumbup:

Hi Archangel,
Thanks! Here ya go....the second black and white with a dodge on the door and latern at 5%. Let me know if it needs more.
IMG_7020bw4.jpg

Thanks Again,
Cindy

This last one nails it! It's a good shot, with a fun lens. ;) Not a whole lot of fisheye options with wedding photography, so the architecture gets to be in the spotlight. :mrgreen:

The curving shadows add a lot of drama here, too. :thumbup: Really nice job, Cindy!

elsaspet said:
Big Hugs Terri!!!! What about the crop? The fish is a biatch to try to level. LOL.
Ha, it can be, can't it?

Well, in the original image, do you have anything of interest in either side of the frame? When viewing this crop, part of me is thinking "two steps back" to show more of the building sides - but then, I was assuming there was undesired clutter on either side of the door that forced the crop.

If there is more info in the original shot, sure, I'd take a look for comparison's sake. :) But I've no real problem with it just as is.

No, the original just has more to the right side. To get the "fish" feel on my 20d I had to walk up within a few feet of the chapel doors. Another one of those moments I wish I had a Mark D II with a full frame. I was kinda disappointed with the 15mm fish with the crop factor of the 20d but it makes for a nice cropped pano (for interior chapel shots).
Eagerly awaiting the new (supposedly) 30D. My hands are too small to handle two Mark D IIs for 10 hours, so I'm hoping for something better with this new one.

I think thats perfect Cindy, tones are just right for me. I dont think you should crop into this one anymore and leveling it, to me, looks impossible. Unless as terri said you have a fuller shot. But i think this ones great :thumbup:

you beat me to it!... in that case the crop is fine :D

I think that, given what you were using at the time and the limitations you described, you've done very well with this shot. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back