fixed lens or zoom?

General rule; if it's a macro prime (fixed focal length) lens, it's good. Now this applies to Tamron, Sigma and Tokina as well as to "first party". Sure this wasn't always the case, but I don't think any current macro lens from those companies would disappoint. Personally I chose the Tamron 90mm just because I prefer the focal length and just generally prefer it, but the Sigma 105 is definitely an excellent lens and if that shop is legit then I would definitely recommend it at that price. Another option would be the Tokina 100mm; I believe this is usually cheaper than either Tamron or Sigma, and in my experience Tokina lenses feel more solid than the others. Bottom line is you can't really go wrong with any of them.

BTW if those seem expensive, remember they are real macro lenses... "macro focusing" zoom lenses are not macro lenses at all, they simply let you focus a bit closer than some other zoom lenses.

Btw when you said you would stay away, did you mean the shop or the lens? If the former, it is probably better to be safe than sorry. If the lens, then I am sure there are sites where people complained... you will find people somewhere complaining about any lens, guaranteed. Honestly, a lot of the time it's because they don't know what they're doing.

Oh and sorry if you know it already, but just in case... the lenses for your AE-1 and the Rebel are not compatible in any way.

Pasvorto: About your AE-1, when you say "bringing it back to life", do you mean the camera is broken? If it only needs new batteries, sure get some and have a go with it. If it needs a repair then IMO don't bother since it may cost more than buying another one from Ebay. As for how good it is, it's fairly basic by modern standards but if you can control shutter speed and aperture then that's all you need.

Most reactions

Back