Fixed Lens vs. Fixed Focus?

Film route is not that difficult :greenpbl: I never transitioned to digital :lmao:

But anyway, I would suggest storing the glass and body someplace dry with silica gel packs if you feel it won't get too much use. That should go a ways toward preventing athletes lens wile in storage keeping them useable when you want to pull it out. Hell I keep the gel packs in my rear caps on my daily use lenses just because. but anyways take good care of them and they will last plenty long.

will do, thanks for all the info!

People tend to shorten terms, often inappropriately.

"Fixed Lens" is properly used to refer to a camera whose lens is not interchangable.

"Fixed Focal Length Lens" is a lens that dosn't "zoom", it has only one focal length. These days, but not in the classic literature, more often termed a "Prime Lens". If you are reading modern info about DSLRs you will encounter "Prime Lens" but will see "Fixed Focal Length Lens" when reading 1960-1980 vintage books and data sheets.

"Fixed Focus" refers to a lens that does not focus. It will be preset at some middle distance, usually the hyperfocal distance for its, usually, fixed aperature.

Sloppy writers all too frequently confuse things by truncating "Fixed Focal Length" to "Fixed Focal" or, even worse, substituting "Focus" for "Focal Length".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back