Fixing Horizon Lines

ah wow, umm, two layers, cut them out, fix horizon, put them back in?

This is something that really pisses me off, you post a photo and someone say fix the horizon, did anyone tell Garry Winnogrand to fix his i don't think so, because sometimes they look better not fixed

I have Photoshop CS4. Open pic in camera raw. There is a horizon tool on the toolbar. Trace horizon. Hit enter. Perfectly straight horizon.

This is something that really pisses me off, you post a photo and someone say fix the horizon, did anyone tell Garry Winnogrand to fix his i don't think so, because sometimes they look better not fixed
Sometimes. But most of the time it really... looks off. With portraits, the orientation of the subject tends to be more important in my book, but with landscapes... the horizon line becomes more important. If you're TRYING to convey something with an intentionally rotated horizon line, that's one thing, but if it's merely a matter of not nailing the composition... then... eh...

Like all "rules" in art, the level horizon is meant to be broken as the artist sees fit. It's just that breaking rules out of ignorance or accident is different from breaking them intentionally to convey something.

Are you Gary Winnogrand?

Well, the key word there was sometimes not always.

i have a photo editing program (which isnt as flash as Photoshop mind you) and it just has a tool where you draw a line over the crooked horizon, click done and it automatically straigtens :D I imagine photoshop would have a similar tool :D

Most reactions

Back