Flash 101

PlasticSpanner said:
Can I use any aperture with flash?

On flash gun I have reccomends F5.6 & another has no reccomendation.

I think that with a truly dedicated flash (like a Canon 580EX on a canon camera) you can use just about any aperture.

I have a flash (Braun) that only has auto settings for F4 & F8....but I can adjust the ISO setting to fine tune the power output. Although sometimes I find it easier to keep the flash setting consistent and change the aperture to get just the right about of flash exposure.

One thing I recommend when using flash (and of course, this all depends on the type of situation you're shooting), it's often beneficial in terms of the final effect it has your image, to "bounce" the flash, and your EX420 flash will be able to do this. The head on your flash will be able to tilt up at multiple degrees, as well as swivel from side to side. What I mean by bounce is to turn the flash head towards something other than your subject, so long as there's something to bounce it off of, like a ceiling/wall/floor/window/mirror/your shirt/your hand/another person's shirt/etc.

Here's some quick examples:

Bounced off a window:
IMG_18402.jpg

Bounced off a wall:
IMG_18425.jpg

Bounced off the floor:
IMG_18424.jpg

Bounced off a blue shirt I was wearing:
IMG_9299.jpg

Now, as you can see in some of these images, the background also shows up. This is from using a slightly longer shutter speed to allow enough time for the darker light in the background to soak in well enough to balance the image out.

Wow Kent. Great examples. This is great information for someone as new as me. I especially like the effect in the shot with the flash bounced off of the floor. It looks like there are lights on the floor. I guess you learn something new every day.

One more question: You said to make the background brighter you used a longer shutter speed? Were you able to take these shots hand held with the longer shutter? It could be b/c I'm so knew, but I have a terrible time holding my 350D still.

Thanks,
B

In darker scenes like the ones in the photos I posted, I wouldn't go any lower than, say, 1/13th of a second. The flash will help illuminate your closer subjects, and the longer shutter speed will help give a sense of location and dimension. And depending on how quickly you need to take the shot, it can be somewhat difficult to keep the camera steady, however if you're familiar with how steady you need to be when firing a rifle for example, then you should use the same steadiness. Lean up against a wall and plant your elbows right up against your body, hold your breath and right when you're ready to fire, slowly let it out. At that point, the only thing that's really going to make your photo blurry is your heart beat. After a while of practicing this, you'll start to notice the sensation that you're a hummingbird; quick and maneuverable, then for the split second you take the photo, you're frozen.

Wow great tips...

You may not believe this, but I'm from West Virginia and have never shot a rifle! ha ha ha ha

Most people think us West Virginians were born shooting guns and with fishing poles in our hands. Ha Ha

Most reactions

Back