Flash Advice

Reaction score
Website
www.bhtj.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Everyone,

Its been a long, long time since I've been around the boards, but allow me to say that it is great to be back. Christmas is right around the corner, and I'm beginning to think of gift ideas. I really need a new flash. The current flash that I use is a Sunpak that my dad purchased with his Canon AE-1 back in the 70's! Of course, since it may potentially be a gift to me from a family member, low cost is fairly important. I shoot a little bit of everything. I currently have a Canon 30D. I have the basic 18-55mm Canon lens, but I normally run around with my Canon 28-135 F/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

What would you guys suggest for a quality, versatile flash that will work well for most shooting situations.

Thanks,

Mike

If you don't mind a manual only flash, the Vivitar 285hv is nice, and cheep.

430ex or 430exII

I say it's a bit better as it has bounce and swivel functions. Much better to have the light NOT be used straight ahead mounted on the camera. That puts out a pretty flat light, not very plesant in most situations. Buy being able to bounce off the ceiling or a wall or something attached to the flash itself allows better diffused light.

I have a 420ex for my 20D and works good. Of course the 430's are newer and have a few more features. Sunpak, Sigma, and others make Canon compatiable flashes as well. And of course Canon has a more powerful flash in the 580ex as well.

I 2nd the 430ex flash...it is generally better to stay with Canon because it talks better to your Canon body...and this flash is not so expensive.

I'm a noob and I have the Canon 430 as well and find it meets most all of my needs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back