Flash advice

I am using a Canon T2i (550D) and an older Vivitar Flash. (Don't remember the model) I will post some expamples and get the actual flash model tonight when I get home from work.
Be careful with that old vivitar flash. Some older ones can fry the electronics of your camera with their voltage. I would definitely pick up a safe sync to use with it. Just in case.

:gah:..... are you serious????? Thats nuts. Is there any way of finding out if it is compatable. How does the flash fry your camera (just out of curiosity) ... a safe sync.. Not sure what that is. I guess I will have to look it up.
I know the vivitar 283 I believe can get up past 100 volts.

I know Nikon cameras are ok to use with a voltage of 12 volts. Not 100% sure about canon.

A Wein safe sync is a device that takes the voltage down to a safe level.
Wein Safe-Sync Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe (SSHSHS) W990560 - B&H Photo

A little pricey but I always use one when using old flashes on my digital bodies. I dont know how to test the voltage of so I would rather be safe than sorry.
By any chance do you know the model of vivitar flash you are using?

Just realised your from canada as well. Heres the vistek link.
http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhoto...wein-safesync-hot-shoe-voltage-regulator.aspx

And Henrys
http://www.henrys.ca/4563-WEIN-SAFE-SYNC-HOTSHOE-HI-VOLT-SYNCH-REG.aspx

ok ..its a vivitar 550FD with auto thryristor what ever that means... lol

Heres a page that lists what people have found the voltage to be of flashes
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

Your flash is listed. Most are under 6v but one was listed as more than 10v. It says its your call to use it, so not a no, but not a definitive yes. I'd still use a safe sync. Yes its expensive, but your camera body is more expensive.

god i like the hard light better. my friend wants me to do an album cover for him and id love for it too look like the "hard light" pic. And Bromics, dont feel bad, i know nothing either so this is helping alot too as well as confusing me more ha ha

How the heck do you get such differences in voltages from the same flash?

550FD
Your Call

8V, according to Ted Felix —

4.24V, per Stephen Sugiyama,

5V per Timothy Horn (serial 0031524) — but

6.66V from Rick Zotz, 7.5V from Tri Do, and

10.18V (serial 5031715) by John D. Duvall...

There are 3 versions of this flash, maybe thats why.. I have the C/S version wich was intended for canon and richol

OK so i did some readings myself and I got 5.25V

I was a bit confused though cuz it said there would be a big dot in the centre but i don't have any dots in the centre just 4 small dots and one small dot on top

I only got readings from the top dot and two right dots..

Just buy a 430EX and be done with worrying. Or get a set of cheap radio triggers and use the flash off camera - safer and better.

Most reactions

Back