Flash and Stroboframe

nkmaurer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know I need to find some time to study lighting more in depth, but I came across something that really puzzled me. I have a Canon 30D and 580EX flash. I felt like my on camera flash was giving me better results than the 580 so most of the timeI never used it cause my pictures would turn out darker. Most of the time I shoot 'P'. Well I bought a stroboframe because I was sick of retouching shadows on vertical shots.

Using the same 'P' setting and ISO 100 with the same 580 flash connected by the stroboframe, now my pictures are totally white when they used to be dark! Why would the stroboframe change that? Now I am having problems 'darkening' my shots. I tried 250 F8 and they were still bright. But one plus is no shadows now :) Anyone have any quick suggestions on why I am having problems? I haven't had a chance to go outside and mess with it, everything I have done has been inside. But then again I just got it about an hour ago!

Thanks!

Your photos shouldn't really be any lighter or darker...with either the built-in flash, the 580 on the hot shoe or with it on the frame.

Do you know how & when to use FEC (flash exposure compensation)?

It would help if you posted some examples and included the EXIF date.

I am not familiar with your rig, but do you have the correct off camera cable for your camera/flash?

I agree either something ain't set right or something is broke.

"Do you know how & when to use FEC (flash exposure compensation)?"
-Unfortunately no I don't know what it is or how to use it

I have never uploaded photos on here and can't figure out how to do it? Do you have to insert a URL?

When I called to order my stroboframe and flash extension cord I was told to go with the promaster cord and save some money. They told me I wouldn't notice a difference with my 30D.

I have left my flash on ETTL becasue I obviously don't know enough about it to mess around with the settings.

Hopefully I will be able to figure out how to upload images here and so you examples of what I am getting.

Thanks!

go to an image host.. i like tinypic.com upload the picture. and take the code thats in the

I am not familiar with your rig, but do you have the correct off camera cable for your camera/flash?

I'm guessing the same thing....

Canon digital SLRs paired with an EX line of flashes meter off of a pre-flash. Can you see a preflash when you trip the shutter?

That might be the key right there what is this "promaster" cord. Is it just a synch cord or is it a TTL cord? a good first place to start would be how much did it cost?. This is the problem with ordering things you get a shady seller on the phone that pushes you into accessories that don't work for you but make more money for them.

Or you can take a look at the cord and make sure that there are the same number of contacts and that they are in the same position as the contacts on the hot shoe of your camera.

If the cord has the same contact arrangement as your camera then it's a TTL.

I hope I did the attachments right! But I used the stroboframe outdoors yesterday on someone and loved what I got. Usually I end up lightening my pictures a little. But once I tried in my basement again I got the same weird results.

What I ordered with my Canon 580 flash was a Promaster Flash Extension Cord Off- Camera TTL. The cost was $50.00. The place I ordered it from is usually a little bit higher but they are always a good help. They aren't the pushy buy better and buy more type. They flat out tell you what you need and if their is a cheaper alternative they tell ya. So I have never had problems w/ where I have ordered this from.

Here are the pictures that I have taken inside to show the difference. All taken from about 6 ft away on my canon 30D w/ my 17-35 lens

1. Camera set to P, Canon flash on Stroboframe Ettl, ISO 100
2. Same camera setting but using on camera flash instead of 580
3. Same camera setting but the 580 attached to camera not on stroboframe
4. 580 Flash back on stroboframe with camera set at 250 f8

and then the other 3 are just pictures that I took yesterday outside with the flash on the stroboframe w/ the camera at program, but I have already put them through some photoshop.

4p1obq1.jpg

5yvdnxi.jpg

6gwf3x5.jpg

4kku6me.jpg

2qs1kq0.jpg

5410znq.jpg

6h714r9.jpg

Thanks for all the replies from everyone!!

I still think that the flash itself is not working in Ettl mode. It seems that the off shoe cord is simply firing the flash at full power. You should see a preflash just before the main flash goes off if the flash is working in E-TTL mode. The preflash is what the camera is using to meter against.

my reasons...

1) The only photo that you posted that is obviously over exposed is #1. My guess is that the camera doesn't know an ETTL flash is attached sets the camera to proper exposure WITHOUT the flash. When your flash fires, it causes it to over expose since the metering was done without taking consideration of the flash

2) Both photos (#2 and #3) that do not use the off camera cord are reasonably exposed.

3) I believe that 1/250 @ f1/8 just happen to be close to the proper exposure with flash in #4. I bet if you took a flash meter, you'll see that the 1/250 @f1/8 setting just happens to be close to ideal exposure settings.

Most reactions

Back